1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Official' Kai Eckhardt Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Mike Flynn, May 12, 2006.

1. I met Kai the other week and he really inspired me in lots of ways and I hope one day I'll be able to play as eloquently and as beautifully as he does - he was playing fretless with his eyes shut and it sounded wonderful. He has lots of cool new stuff happening and is releasing a new track online soon - he's also filmed and produced an instructional DVD which I'll probably be buying as he showed me some great ideas on rhythm and harmony - plus he's nicest, coolest, bass cat you'll ever meet. He's one of the great's to emerge in the last 15 or so years so have a look and listen here http://www.kaizone.com/movies.html - and if you don't already own a copy of the John McLaughlin Trio "Live at the Royal Festival Hall" (from 1989) it's a classic album and is full of superb bass playing.

Apologies for the enthusiasm - he's just got me thinking about what I do and how I can improve it - and that's really important.

Cheers

Mike

PS I have some video clips of him jamming at the London Guitar Show - I'll try and upload them to You Tube soon.

2. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    I've heard he's a great guy. I tried to introduce myself to him after a Garage Majal gig at Tobacco Road in NYC a few years ago but he seemed like he was in a rush and I didn't get much response from him.
    Great bass player. Maybe a bit too chops oriented for my taste, but he's certainly a virtuoso of the instrument.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He's good, but the best bassist John has ever played with is Jonas Hellborg, by a long way.

4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I appreciate the man as well. I really dig his Big Apple 5 by Hotwire but his tone is always perfect no matter what axe he's using. I've got a few shows of Garaj on vcd and those guys are very impressive.

5. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Heh...that's exactly how I tried to start conversation with him..."Hey man, that Glock rig sounds fantastic!"
    I guess he must have really been in a hurry...or I smelled really bad...:smug:

6. I think his intonation is a bit sloppy, but otherwise he's alright. Just not a fan of his tone really I guess.

7. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I've known Kai for decades. He's a phenominal player and person.

8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I wish I had his sloppy intonation...

The McLaughlin CD is very good, but he also has a solo CD out called Honor Simplicity, Respect The Flow which is a great listen. Also, he's on some Trilok Gurtu recordings.

The SF bay area is a hotbed of bassists and I'm glad he's one of them. :D

9. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.
    Oh man, I love his playing.
    Funny, I was just listening to Blueberry Cave earlier today!!

10. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    me too!

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I've been a fan since the Vital Information days when hei name was Kai Eckhardt-Karpeh.;) I recently got a Garaj Mahal DVD and that Hotwire bass sure sounds fine! If you want to hear some extended soloing by Kai, check out Billy Cobham's live Mississippi Nights CD, Kai is unchained on it.....wonderful player!

12. Same here!

Sorry but his intonation is excellent - check him on that McLaughlin Que Alegria tune 'Belo Horizon' - his playing is gorgeous...and as much as I think Jonas Hellborg is great -saying he's better than Di Piazza, Matt Garrison and Kai, and Hadrian Farud - are all amazing - I don't think we should start hailing any one of them as 'best' - they are all superb - and different. It's just a matter of taste.

M

13. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've been impressed with everything I've heard from him, particularly his solo fretless stuff on his site. His intonation is better than most other guys that I've heard out there outside of Manring and Willis, and when you think about what he's playing on his fretless (lots of fast string-skipping work), it's even more impressive.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Kai is amazing on the fretless, but Manring's intonation is so accurate it's unreal.

15. I love his solo/intro to Vital Information's: "Babaluwaiye" from the cd: FIAFIAGA...
    Nice Slapping!!!

16. Asaf

Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    Israel
    true...
    he's one of the most Versatile bassplayers out there, he always sounds great which ever technique he uses.

17. Grooveminister

Grooveminister

Jul 12, 2005
    Germany
    Hi!

I've been to a 3 day Masterclass with Kai Eckhardt in May in Germany and I must say ist was really great! He's a great guy, a great teacher, a great musican and a great bass player :)!
    I haven't seen him for almost 15 years (back then we was a presenter for Schack basses the Musikmesse in Frankfurt / Germany) and to meet him again was really very nice and inspiring! If you guys get the chance to see him with his Band "Garaj Mahal" go for it!

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've just ordered Billy Cobham's "Missippi Nights" and Kai's "Honour Simplicty respect the Flow". Should be a good introudction to him!

I also ordered Bunny Brunel/Tony MacAlpines "CAB", since I love fusion!

19. kai is incredible . Check out the stuff he done with Trilok Gurtu . Hardcore **** !!!!

20. Archaeobass

Archaeobass

Dec 12, 2008
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Kai played my wedding as part of a trio. The drummer/band leader knew I was a bassist and so went out of his way to get Kai for the big day. Utterly amazing.

The caterer said "I do dozens of weddings a year and I've never heard better music." I told the BL to do whatever he wanted and boy did he deliver. I'm not sure there have been more face melting bass solos played at one wedding.

StayLow likes this.