Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Official Photoshop help thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    I thought this might be a good idea for us to share tricks and tips as well as ask questions.

I will begin. is there a way to resize an image? like grab a corner and make a picture the size i need? i know that seems juvinile but hey.

2. If you click the image with the select tool, a bounding box around the image should come up that will allow you to resize the image by dragging the edges. If it still doesnt show up, goto image and adjustments, and you should find something about a bounding box.

I hope this helps, im kinda noobish too when it comes to Photoshop.

3. the easiest way to resize it (imo) is to right click the title bar for whatever window you're working with and it will say "resize image" and you can specify the number of pixels for the width and height (or do it in percent of the original)

good thread btw.

i have a good question. how do you guys do cool fonts in photoshop? is there a font pack i could download (preferably to use with all applications, such as my instant messaging program) that would work?

4. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    having to learn it for work, but enjoying it so far!

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'm no pro at it by any means, but I know just enough to effectively make fun of people. On the main tool bar, get to know the different tools. The ones I use the most are the magnetic lasso tool, and the eraser. There are other tools in each icon, right click to select them. Here is a quick crash course on how to make fun of people by putting their face in a bad pic.

First, open the main picture you plan to use. Leave it on the screen, and open another one, with the face of the victim. I like to maximize the screen when working on that pic, just to make things a little easier. Then select the majic lasso tool, and go around the victims head with it until it is a complete circle around it. Once that is done, go to edit, then click copy. Now that you have the victims head copied, you're essentially done with that picture, and can now close it.

Go back to your original, main picture you are using, and maximize it. Then go to edit, and select paste. You can then go to edit> free transform, to move the head, and size it accordingly. I normally magnify the pic to only the area I am working on. If you have extra stuff you'd like to get rid of on the pasted head, you can use your eraser tool to get rid of them. You need to understand that PS works in layers, and it will only modify the top layer, until flattened, which can be done in the layers menu.

Other tools I use to blend are the smudge tool, and it is also good to get aquainted with the color sample tool, and brushes, for airbrushing, to help blend things together, and make shadows. After you use the brush tool, you can click edit.fade brush tool to get a nice transparency to fade the added brush stroke into the pic.

Another quick tip, when lifting a pic off the net for photoshop work, don't bother saving it to your hard drive first, simply right click it, and select copy. When you open photoshop, then go to "New", it will then pop up a window with the picture dimensions already there, for the image on your clipboard. It is much easier this way, and you may have some trouble with PS recognizing certain images that have been saved.

I learned all of this by trial and error, not great at it, but this should help get some photoshop newbies a quick start.

Hope this helps someone.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    http://www.larabiefonts.com/

7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    eureka!

8. wait...

ok i downloaded the font pack and unzipped them all to the windows font folder but they aren't showing up in any of my programs... what'd i do wrong :confused:

9. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    unzip them in another folder

then intall the font into the fonts folder

10. i did that...

how do i install them if the are just .TTF files???

11. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Start - Settings - Control Panel - Fonts - File - Install new font. Voila!

12. well, nevermind...

i went back and tried again (just unziping them to the fonts folder) and it worked that time. odd.

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    this thread reeks of kick assness

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Oh well, I tried to be informative and helpful, maybe someday someone will get a use out of it.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Do you wanna know what my latest GAS attack is - Photoshop. I don't have it. Does that make me wierd?

16. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    there is an open ended program called "the gimp" that is pretty close and is free.

17. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Someone mentioned Gimp in the other Photoshop thread and I fully intend to look into it. But I'll wait until after I've flattened my PC. I'm just about to wipe my c drive and start from scratch........