Offset speaker placement in Acoustic 406 cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by horak, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Found an Acoustic "Model 406" cab in a local studio that seems to differ from the "normal" 406 in the sense that speakers are placed off center as shown in picture... Could it be a factory original "special" version, or is it more likely a user modification?

DSCF5250Model406.JPG

2. I have no idea, but given the layout of the cab, it seems like it'd be a pain to modify both baffles. I guess, in a sense, you could consider this Acoustic's "double baffle" cabinet ;) . I know, it's not funny at all.

3. jj4001

jj4001

Dec 27, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I've never seen one like that. My guess is it's gotta be custom.

4. Could be a prototype cabinet. My 406 cabinet had the speakers centred above each other on their baffle boards. Just like in the photo from the 1980 Acoustic Control brochure below.

Acoustic220cabs.jpg

TD

5. pie_man_25, makes sense, that cab most prolly wasn't user modified. but on the other hand custom, um? also, the speakers ain't got this silvery center as in Thornton's pic. could this give a clue in some direction?
    maybe it's indeed some kind of double-baffle :unsure: well, i guess i've to open it up.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021