Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Oh man, wind

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Feb 4, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    The Seattle area is getting hammered here with wid right now. I can hear the trees cracking outside. People are really paranoid that we'll lose power for the super bowl.

I wish I had a wind gauge here, I used to have one. It sounds pretty fierce from in here. When I lived up in Port Angeles at the foot of Hurricane Ridge (there's a reason it's called that) we'd occasionally get sustained winds of 70mph. Broke the seals on our windows a few times.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    And I thought this was going to be a Taco Bell thread!

Good luck, and hang on - we've had a few windstorms here the last few years, and they're messy.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Me too...

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    It's crazy isn't it? I was at Home Depot last night to pick up some tile, and that is all people were worried about. One guy said he was going to drive to Portland to make sure he could watch the game without the power going out.

Windstorms are cool though.

-Mike

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A couple weeks ago we got hammered down here by some pretty gnarly santa ana winds. I was driving up lake ave.(one of the main streets where I live, very long street goes all the way up to the hills) With my friend when suddenly the block we were on and at least 5 or 6 other blocks around us blacked out completely. The wind was still as fierce as ever, but now we're in this darkness with alarms going off and trees flying through the air.

It was pretty interesting.

As for the winds you're getting up in washington. Well, that blows.

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i live in victoria, BC, canada - right accross the water from you. we had 100km/h winds here & trees down. the chop in the ocean was HUGE. the ocean was throwing logs up onto the road

there was so much spray & wind that i couldn't see because the spray was hitting my eyeballs whenever i opened my eyes :)

crazy stuff

7. Windstorms are NOT cool. Give me a thunderstorm anyday, but I have a hard time sleeping when it feels like my house is going to go all Dorothy and crap.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sweet....DOT closed the 520 floating bridge today because of the high winds. The pictures on the news are awesome.

-Mike

9. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    There's a way to guage the speed of the wind by the sound going through the rigging on a vessel. If you're land locked... well I guess that doesn't work. sorry :bag:

10. its the same way in spokane, no matter where in the house i go the wind is loud as hell

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yup.

Down here they were restricting mobile home transport.

Wizard of Oz anyone??

:D

Joe.

12. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    My power went out right after I posted this thread. It just came back on. At least I can have a shower now finally.

13. MarkyMark

MarkyMark

Dec 11, 2005
    wait, superbowl is tonight?

wow, I am out of it.