1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ohhhhh..it lights up does it ? anyone else have LEDs on their bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by glocke1, Oct 27, 2013.

1. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    There is always one in every crowd…I have an alembic SCSD with LEDs on the side of the fretboard…

I like them, it makes being on a dark stage a little easier…sure I could get by without them easily enough, but they are there so I use them…

Seems like every so often there is always the one guy who has an issue with it and makes a big deal out of it…"Ohhhhh, look hes got a bass that lights up!" ***.

2. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yup. My 1987 Alembic Series I has red side LEDs. My 2000 Mark King / Series II has amber side LEDs. I don't have a good photo of them "lit up". You're right that they are

a) Largely unnecessary
    b) GREAT to have on a dark stage
    c) A common source of derision from people who's opinions I could give less than a flip about

3. powerdimer

powerdimer

Jun 9, 2009
    So you have lights on your bass, but you don't like it when people notice.

That's..an easy one. You want a solution, or just moral support for your light show?

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I didn't want them on my custom bass because while I can do my own setups and any guitar tech can do a refret, I have no idea how I can easily swap out the LEDs when they eventually burn out.

5. Yup

Got em on both my Roscoes and my Rob Allen.

You can see em lit here:

Roscoe-1.

Rob-Allen2.

Love em on a dark stage -invaluable at times.

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

6. glocke1

glocke1

Apr 30, 2002
    PA
    not looking for anything…I just don't get why people feel the need to act like asshats about it...

7. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
  8. I played on forty by sixty stages pretty exclusively and the audience can't even see em.

They were just for me and to compensate for the fact that we could never afford to carry our own lighting tech. House guys don't know the music, especially the stops! Been in the dark much more than I like to admit!

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Assuming this was a question for the OP, but I'll chime in.....

The LEDs on my bass are for ME to be able to see on stage. If people don't notice they are there, fine. If they do notice, fine. It's the stupid "clever" comments that get annoying.

Look at it this way....Those same basses have adjustable brass nuts. Does it bother me that nobody ever notices that? Nope. When somebody DOES notice (always a fellow bassist) does that bother or excite me? Nope.

Same things with LEDs. They are one of many features on my tools.

10. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Stupid clever comments are NEVER annoying. People are noticing you, and if you don't want to be noticed, do NOT be an entertainer.

I never get enough of stupid clever comments. It reminds me I am ALIVE.

11. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    I've got red LED's on the side dots of an unlined fretless, had 'em for maybe 15 years now. No one has ever mentioned anything but how cool it is and that's only on the rare occasions anyone notices. I also very rarely need to use them but when I do I'm really glad they are there.

They may fail by accident but LED's don't burn out.

12. WretchedExcess

WretchedExcess

Jul 29, 2013
    This bass has more lights on it than a '72 Coupe DeVille.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    The one "signature" bass I'd love to have. Not even going to ask about a price though, there is no doubt that much psychedelic costs a lot of green.

14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I would love to have some lights on my bass ... to help me see on dark stages, and to draw the attention of the asshats away from my asshat comment drawing pedalboard. :p

Apparently drunks are interested in glowing or blinking things, like pedal LEDs. :)

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I love being noticed and get enough positive attention that I feel free to ignore the stupid stuff. A parallel (but more serious) example would be saying that our singer should enjoy all the lewd comments she gets because it means people notice her :rolleyes:. ALL attention is not good attention. The good thing is she gets most of the attention because of how well she sings, a lot of attention because of how she looks, and the asshat lewd comments can be ignored. Likewise I enjoy the comments on my playing, appreciate the comments about how nice my gear looks and ignore the lame attempts at humor (you gonna play that on Christmas?....can you land planes with that thing?...clever :rolleyes: never heard that before)

Peace,

James

16. Thanks for the link Fretno! I've been looking for something like this for awhile!

17. Seems a great idea for those playing in dark venues. Why not use 'em if you got 'em?

The electric bass itself was an object of derision, 'til it wasn't.

18. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I'm no where near as good a photographer as BassHappy or fretno, but here are my two LED equipped basses....

Mark King Series II:

fa43f5a23cdc7015a7b5cab598b0fba2_zpsa4b3bfd4. c5a83fb48440c05bdb66619f8bf44b7f_zpsabfcc17f.

Series I:

e7466361c741f1503a70eb5dc89d1b6d_zpsbbac4544. a36557e69864b3bb00533dffa1123dfa_zps68c7dae9.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Kinda like when girls put glitter on their cleavage then complain when we stare...

If you like the LED's, rock them and don't give a flip what anyone thinks....

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I can usually tell where I am on any of my basses just by the feel of the neck, and if that doesn't help then hearing whatever note I'm playing will :D

That said, I wouldn't mind neck LEDs. It's hard to see on some stages, especially when your bass has a dark wood for your fingerboard. Maple necks have never bothered me as much.