Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

OK, 4 string choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The Urbs, Mar 10, 2004.

1. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Yes, another I need fellow TBers help in making my decisions thread. :rolleyes:

I need/want a four stringer badly. And narrowed it down to these choices:

1. Musicman Stingray- Havent tried one, but hear they are versitale in tone and slap, but I will test one soon at my local GC.

2. Fender Jazz- Played a American standard, great feel sweet tone, but wanting a little bit more?

3. Modulus Flea- Same as Stringray, havent tried but the graphite neck and its endless sustain and great tone has me hooked.

4. Modulus Quantum 4- This was thrown in due to the great raves from the Q5 but without the B, any thoughts?

5. Suggestions: Sorta at a loss here! Any imput is appreciated and goes a long way to end my insomnia. No, but every single one and join the rest of you with 4+ basses :D

2. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Those are all great basses and would be great for "someone". Provide a little more info about what type of a player you are, what's your style, what music to you like, what type of tone do you want, what do you like and not like in instruments you've played before, etc. This type of information will allow people to make more specific and informed recommendations.

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    you really need to try them all out. A stingray neck and a jazz neck are completely different so trying those out will most likely eliminate one of those.

4. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    My style is broad, jazz, funk (slap), but open to a wide variety of playing styles but nothing dirty sounding like for heavy metal. Versatility.

5. I'd go with a Jazz bass. They're very versatile basses. I can't think of any type of music that they wouldn't work for.

6. I'd narrow it down to the jazz, and q4

7. Yeah, the MM is Ok for rock, and when I had a Modulus Flea and tried to detune even to D, much less C or C#, it just wasn't happening for whatever reason. In that price range I'd say also a Spector Euro 4 or a Lakland 44-02. You NEED to try out a Moddy before buying, though. I can't try a Q5 out, and that's why I'm getting a Lakland instead. I hated my last graphite-equipped bass, so I'm not too keen on getting something that has a good chance of me not liking. A Lakland is like a super-Jazz, only better. Definitely give one of those a run. that J/MM Bartolini pu'p and preamp getup is just really, really cool to me.

8. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Thanks for the help guys, really. So the Fender and Modulus, those were my top 2!

Im head over to my GC and play soem Fenders and as for the Modulus, any place with a retrun policy? :D

9. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Made up my mind, Im going for the Jazz. Now, which model...

American or Classic? Any ideas?

10. American, white finish, tort pickguard, maple neck. :cool: Rawk!

11. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I may be too late here, but G&Ls are built extremely well, versatile sound,....

12. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    If you're going for a Fender, don't count out the Geddy Lee Signature. You can find them for around $500-600. They have the best neck of any fender I've played - including Americans, Highway 1, or the reissues. Only drawback - they only come in black. Comes with the badass ii bridge installed, and a white pickguard. I changed it out for a black pearloid. Also has maple board with black rectangular inlay and binding.

Pretty sweet looking bass, and plays great. Check em out.

13. i'd say go for the Q4.

but if you want other suggestions, maybe a bongo is just what you need. those things are slap machines, and are extremely versatile.

14. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Heres my plan. Im a get a Standard Jazz and semi mod it with these options:

1. Warmoth Jazz neck

2. Bartolini pickups

3. New preamp

4. Badass II bridge

15. Why not get a Lakland 44-02? Pretty much exactly what you want except for the bridge, which is probably better since it's string through on the body and the bridge. Would look a helluva lot cooler than a standard Fenfer anyday! :cool: :bassist:

16. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    :meh: Really, thanks for that Im a check those out now!

EDIT: Just checked them out and damn :eek: so amazing. As for the Modulus, I would get the Q5 due to the awesome B which seems just right for owning one. By have a Q4 its like buying half of the bass. But these Laklands you speak of are just.... :bassist:

17. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    If you're going to do all that, why not one of these:

Ken Smith Design Active Jazz

18. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Yeah... what he said...

Those look pretty good for $700.