ok all you 2x15" guys...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thepostagexera, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Tell me what you think of them, down to every detail! and how they comepare to a 4x10". Im sure this question has been beat into the ground a million times, but i'd like to hear about it anyway, as im considering changing over to a 2x15".
  2. I guess the more important question is why do you want to change from a 410 to a 2x15?

You looking for more low end?
    Looking for a different tone?

Personally I love the sound of a 2x15 cab.
    Played through an ancient Peavey 215 cab for years.
    15's give me that deep low rumble the whole room feeling that I love. I'm not a mid/high loving type of bass player though.
    What you will miss on stage is being able to hear your mids and highs as well.
    15 inch speakers are a bit harder to hear unless you are quite a distance from them. But when you stand back...look out. The HUGE low end will blow you away.
    Now I don't play through a 215 any more as I got tired of luggin the HUGE thing around.
    I have a 1x15 cab and a 210 cab. The 15 is for the HUGE lows that I love, and the 210 is for me to better hear myself on stage.

Enough of my rambling.
    I recomend you go out and try one.
    Try it next to your 410 of choice.
    Choose the one that makes ya smile.

Now you should also consider a 2x12 cab. They have a lot of the lows that a 15 gives you plus the tight response of 10's

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I pretty much agree with Scott.

Question: will you be running through a PA system, or will your rig have to fill the room on its own? I ask because, as noted above, large diameter speakers tend to throw lows and muddy the house sound. IME with 10" speakers it's easier to get good sound that cuts through onstage without muddying things up for the soundman.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i tend to agree on what has been said
    i too used an ancient peavey black widow 2x15 (the one that was really deep, not the skinny one) - i loved it but........
    too big to carry, plus you put out too much lows and the soundman hates you and you can kill the sound
    that being said, nuthin wrong with using a pair of bag end 15's (one with a coax horn if ya want)
    in my experience the bag end 15 dont put out so much lows that ya kill the mix, but two of em can sound beefy and punchy
    not that there aren't other great 15's out there, but the bag ends are tiny and rock
  5. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    try an Epifani 2x15, and get back to me. ;)
  6. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    What everyone said. I played 215's for years but found out that 10's sound better on stage when I played through rented equipment. As I often play without PA support I decided to get a 212 as a compromise between 215 and 410 and also because it is smaller and lighter than a 410. I don't regret this decision at all...

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

Are you referring to, or, have you used the BE Deep series 15" cab? I also use a PV cab w/Eminence drivers with a BE 2x10 & wondered how 1 or 2 BE Deep 15's compare to the "old faithful" PV BW cab in the low-end dept & overall sound?

Hope to see you on Nov 1!

8. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I also used to lug around the Peavey 2x15, I just
    loved all that bottom. I was in a hard rock band
    back then.When I got more into Yes & Rush I wanted
    more top end so I went with a 4X10 & 1X15 stack.
    I kept my old peavey and recently added a 2X10
    that gave me just enough top end, with the Big
  9. Model NV215 specifications:
    • 2-15" woofers with vented pole pieces
    • 1-6" midrange
    • power handling - 600 watts rms
    • custom phase - coherent crossover
    • frequency response: 37hz - 7khz
    • sensitivity: 101db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 4 ohms
    • dimensions: 36"H x 24"W x 15"D
    • weight: 93lbs.
    • tilt-back casters

I haven't tried this Berg yet, but I would definately consider it if your looking 2x15 cabs. I have the NV610 like Mr. Fuzzbass (hi Ken) and Jeff Haley too. We all love them, and Jim Bergantino was telling me how the NV215 just shakes the room. It also has the 6" driver for midrange which the 610 only has the tens and no other speaker or tweets. If I ever go for another bigger cab it will be a NV215 or another NV610, but seriously one is enough for me. Good Hunting.
  10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    wow nv, that's just like my old pv cab except mine had black widows, it looks like yours are scorpions
    speaking of 212's i found the bergantino to be muddy and lacking definition, but their ht322 is great but.............
    the epifani 212 is probably one of the coolest cabs i've played - if you turn your back you'd swear there was a 15 in there somewhere and its a lot smaller than a 215
  11. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Good catch,IvanMike. Yes they are the Original
    Scorpions, and they still sound good.At the time
    the Black Widow cab was more money, and I just
    had enough for the scorp cab & Mark VI head.
  12. Same PV cab as mine too...except mine has the Black Widow speakers.
    I'm supprised more people aren't into this cab...it sounds fantastic.
    Better than an Ampeg 810 in my opinion
  13. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    Speaking of the Epifani 2x15" - I know where you can get one that's brand spanking new for a killer absolutely killer price...

Was on bassgear.com but I think it's gone now.

Let me know if you're interested.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    awwww, yea... :cool:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

Almost forgot, I'm playing CBGB's (NYC) on Oct 30th. If you're around, stop by. I just got back from a tour in Europe...

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have been playing bass for just over two years now. From day one I played a 215 with Peavey Black Widows. I absolutely love them. They got the thunderous, brain rattling low end. They also can put out some tight mids and really good highs. I have never had an problems with the cab causing problems with our bands overall sound. I practice at home with it sometimes, and I can make the neighbors windows rattle a block away.

I recently purchased an Eden 410, which is also awesome. After playing them both, and all six at once even, I prefer the 215. The size and weight do not bother me. It is worth it.

I think you should go for it, and use a 215.

17. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    will do, bro! cool that you've got a Halloween weekend gig.

btw, what rig you bringin' out? any bigbutt 15" in it? :cool:

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY

I'm going for the "Take no prisoners" audio assault special & bringing my 18's, 15's AND 2x10! To hell with the PA! It should be brutal...

19. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    been a 15's guy forever. In my case, JBL's in smallish ported bins. Great sounding cab's. Lot's of 'thump' and the JBL's have a sweet presence to them. No 10's needed ...

I just picked up a Music Man 2x12 last week and I'm really impressed. Definately goes much, much lower, much, much higher as well. Really a nice sounding cab. In a club setting, I think I'd have to EQ some of the low end out to get the bass settled correctly. There is almost too much going on down there.

If I were putting a gig ging setup together, I'd be looking at a couple of these ...
  20. Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I love my Eden 2-15xlt. Love it. Punchy punchy punchy, and moves massive amounts of air. I play mostly rocksteady/reggae, so take this with a grain of aslt, but I find that the top end and upper mids are very clear and articulate for 15s (if you want them to be, that is). As far as cabinets of this size go, its rather easy to move around with well placed handles and tilt back wheels. For convenience's sake, I picked up a couple of Aggie GS112s and as nice as they sound, I had to go back to the Eden for most gigs. That cab just does it for me.