1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ok, BIG AMP lovers, which one would you choose...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass6811, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Ampeg SVT(any variation)

110 vote(s)
    41.8%
  2. Mesa Strategy Eight:88

30 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Mesa Prodigy Four:88

9 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Aguilar DB751

22 vote(s)
    8.4%
  5. Fender Super Bassman

39 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Orange AD200B

15 vote(s)
    5.7%
  7. Ashdown CTM-300

10 vote(s)
    3.8%
  8. A boutique builder(Reeves, Verellen, Electric, etc)

28 vote(s)
    10.6%
  1. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    ...and why?

I'm not planning on stepping away from my ab fab, 6.3lb Mesa D800+, but a conversation with another bassist that I respect, admire, and trust got me wondering if the consensus really is all tube, all the time or "as long as there's a tube in there somewhere, I'm good"? He really likes my tone, but the fact that it's coming from an amp that weighs less than some basses completely baffles him...

As we were talking about gear, I told him there were just a few of the ginormous heads left, so he asked me which one I thought was THE one? I tried to come up with pros and cons for each and it came out pretty even for all of them, so I said I'd ask you guys.

If you had someone to schlep your gear(or you don't mind doing it yourself), which amp would you choose? Why?

-Ampeg SVT(any of it's variations-CL/VR/??)
    -Mesa Strategy 8:88
    -Mesa Prodigy 4:88
    -Aguilar DB751
    -Fender Super Bassman
    -Orange ADB-200
    -Ashdown CTM-300

I know there's a bunch of boutique amps that I'm missing(Reeves, Electric Amps, Verellen, etc), so if you wanna throw those in there, that's cool. I have no idea if he wants a new amp, all I know is that I gotta cart my own crap, so a big amp isn't high on my list of things to do, but I like having the info...thanks!

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Fender Super Bsssman

•300 watts
    •Tube preamp and power amp
    •Rear-panel Fender Automatic Bias system
    •Rear-panel impedance switch (2, 4 and 8 ohms)
    •XLR line out with ground lift, level control and pre/post EQ switch
    •Master volume control with push/pull mute
    •Effects loop
    •Get ripped from lifting

armybass, rickbass1, NoNoise and 17 others like this.
  3. I voted Orange AD200B as I own one and it is hands down an awesome piece of kit.

However I still hold out that one day I will own an Ampeg SVT-CL and Heritage 8x10. Being that cost is prohibitive here in Aus, it may be awhile until that dream is realised. Probably at the same time I magically afford a Wal :p

armybass, Wisebass and pbass6811 like this.
  4. Raulplaysbass

Raulplaysbass

Jun 3, 2017
    Azusa, Ca
    SVT

Mini and micros are great! I own a few w/ and without pre-amp tubes and regularly gig w/ a D-800+. But to my ears, none can compare to an ALL TUBE Ampeg SVT! I own a SVTII (non-pro) and it blows away all of my Mini's. The D-800+ is IMHO at the top of the heap for the Mini's, but 300 Tube Watts still rule the roost!

5. High Camp

High Camp

Oct 3, 2013
    Netherlands
    Because I love Ampeg I voted SVT, it's just that simple.

6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi pbass6811 :)
    I vote for Ampeg because it' s loud enough :bassist:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    ....the above is essentially a tacit, honest admission of bias.....his eyes don't want to allow his brain to accept what his ears are telling it. If he closed his eyes and judged only with his ears, he'd simply approve of your tone :)

SLO Surfer and pbass6811 like this.
  8. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    i tried mesa, i tried Fender, i tried orange... always get back to ampeg. so svt.

9. bobyoung53

bobyoung53 Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2004
    Millbury Ma.
    I tried a Quilter Bass Block yesterday at a jam and it did sound good but ummm.... Ampeg SVT.

ezra1 likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    SVT, hands down.

I have had them all as provided backline gear. There were Fender, Mesa 400+, etc. There is something special about the SVT.

That being said, having, and loving, an Ashdown LB30, I really want to try the Ashdown. That thing should be scary good.

tmw, Mantis Tobaggan and ezra1 like this.
  11. "Get ripped..." :roflmao:

Mantis Tobaggan and Stumbo like this.
  12. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Not on the list but worth mentioning as big amps, Traynor still makes the YBA 200 & 300 tube amps. Love my old YBA4.

13. foal30

foal30

Dec 3, 2007
    New Zealand
    I bought an Ashdown CTM-300, it is an amazing piece of kit. I really like the Orange ABD-200.

I haven't tried the Aguilar or Fender.

ezra1 likes this.
  14. ShaneF

ShaneF Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2015
    York, PA
    I've owned about everything on that list (except Reeves... would love one of those) and my 1989 SVT II Non Pro reigns king for me.

bobyoung53 and Raulplaysbass like this.
  15. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Definitely prefer the SVT 810, but lately, I've been provided a few different 610 and 810 rigs and I felt like that for the most part, I got what I needed from the big rigs, either to cover me with no monitor or the "feel" with IEMs.

None of those amps sucked, but I'm always most happy with an SVT.

And I'm REALLY happy when I don't have to move mine!...:D:

EDIT: Gotta say, I'm curious about those late model Fender Super Bassman 810 rigs. They are trickling through more and more lately, but I have yet to be provided one.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
    bobyoung53 likes this.
  16. I love my orange ad200b best tone I've ever had. It makes all of my basses sound uniquely like themselves I don't really know how to describe it it's just amazing

foal30 likes this.
  17. I vote SVT
    After that.... Ashdown

bassestkkm and bobyoung53 like this.
  18. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I love my SVT, and make no bones about it. I can quickly dial in a great sound and they are bulletproof.

On another note, I'd love to try a fender Bassman, as I've heard some good stuff about them, and I like the fact you can run a 2,4, or 8 ohm load on it. That would open the doors for versatility and allow me to use more cabs

19. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I injured my arm last year and it's been slow healing completely so I shelved my SVT AV for a PF-800. The micros can sound good, but to me tubes sound better. SVT AV or Hetitage or vintage will always be my preference.

I think people miss the distinction. When their feet are held to the fire not many will claim that the micros sound the same as tube.

Rabidhamster, bobyoung53 and PhilippH like this.
  20. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    I own and SVT-2PRO and an Ashdown CTM-300. Both are absolutely killer amps. That being said, the Ashdown does sub-low end better than the SVT.