Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ok, dont laugh at me for being stupid

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by whatUstaringAT, Jan 2, 2004.

1. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.
    i really need to know this. Is the fingerings of a bass guitar like the bass or the guitar. I've never had one, and it doen't matter, caus i can play either, but it would help if i knew.

um, ok, bye!

:bassist:

2. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    same notes on the strings as on the guitar, if i understand ur question correctly...ive never played upright bass, but i think all three of them are the same.

3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

Yea, but anyways. It's like the bottom four strings of guitar (EADG). BUT, you don't play it like a guitar at all.

4. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.
    ok, thx.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if you had a piccolo bass you could probably play it like a guitar

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Well, now that the question at hand has been answered, whatUstaringAT, feel free to stick around. Did you ask because you're interested in playing bass? If so, there's lots of fun to be had here at TB. I'm new here myself, but have already learned a *lot* and made a couple good connections as well inside of 2 months.

7. Hey Ox, I like the pic.

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Thank you. I have many more. I'll PM you the link to all of them once I have them all uploaded.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All are tuned in fourths, E A D G and B E on the guitar. That's why I joined orchestra on bass rather than cello, because I already know how to play without playing. The Fender Bass was designed to bridge the gap between upright bass and guitar, because during studio sessions, guitarists were in high demand, but many were reluctant to learn upright bass theory. Those who could double on upright and guitar were in the highest demand, and I believe someone complained to the one and only Leo Fender, who designed the Precision bass to be played similar to a guitar for doubling purposes.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Are you sure about that?

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Whatcha talkin' bout Willis?

(Don't worry, I fixed it) I gotta stop doing that!

12. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.
    okay, so most bass guitars are like the upright bass, strings going e, a, d then g?

i cant concentrate, too much coffe and video games. WHEN WILL THIS MADNESS END?!?!?!

:bassist:

13. notabob

notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    yes, e a d g

unless you use an alternate tuning. some people drop the low e down to a low d just to get a lower note. on a 5 string bass, the standard tuning is b e a d g and a six string the standard is b e a d g c and there are alternate tunings that some people perfer, but i wouldnt worry too much about those right now.

14. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.
    excellent

15. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    If your getting into bass playing it has only begun..ha ha ha ha, hah ah aha ha

16. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

accually i dont really care. being at band practice is more fun then, um, uh, not eing at band practice.

i make myself soud so stupid sometimes. i needed to spell true for soemthing, and i spelled it ture.

17. It depends on how you look at it, but going from low to high, the upright bass and bass guitar is tuned in 4ths. It's 5ths going the other way.

Why this matters is that other stringed instruments such as the violin, viola and cello are tuned in 5ths from low to high. It's usually refered to that way.

18. whatUstaringAT

whatUstaringAT Guest

Dec 25, 2003
    texas. crazy texas.
    yeah, i thought that, but you know, i just wanted to make sure.