Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Okay, So I sliced my fingers open.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mo'Phat, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Last night, I decide to be a good samaritan and help my neighbor take the front bumper off his old '64 Chevy truck. I'm using a ratchet an a stubborn nut, it pops free, and my index and middle finger on my right hand get slashed by the steel bumper. I break my middle nail in half, slice to the bone on the top of the finger, and gash right across my fingerprint in my index finger. Blood...lots of blood.

Here's the kicker...I'm playing a 3 hour gig tomorrow. How much does that suck?

Any magic elixir to heal me quick or am I going to be pouring super glue into it during the night?

2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ouch... :eek:
    This sucks real bad...
    I'm afraid I'll have to break the news for you: it wont heal in only one day. Sorry :(

One thing you can do is go and see a doctor whether they can do something about it and wrap it up in gauze bandage...
    Or play with a pick, cause it will hurt and make additional damage to the wound if you play

This sucks real bad, man.

3. Slicing to the bone means stitches. If you haven't gotten stitches by now you're probably going to end up with some evil scar or deformity. When I've injured my fingers to the point of stitches, cloth medical tape with super glue on the outside. Don't superglue the tape to your finger though...

Good luck, hope it heals well.

4. Okay, maybe it wasn't "to the bone", but it's pretty deep and there ain't much flesh on the tops of fingers, y'know? I'm not going to the doctor, and chicks dig scars.

I figure by showtime I'll have had about 48 hours to heal.

Anybody tried Nu-Skin or the Liquid Band-Aids?

The other kicker is that I have 6 new songs to learn by then that we haven't rehearsed as a band yet. It's important that we play them (old favorites for old fans of the band)...so I'm listening to them over and over...learning by osmosis because I can't actually play them.

(ps. I'm typing with my thumbs. Pretty good, huh? It took me 14 hours to type this...with water breaks.)

5. Ouch.

You're really not going to be in any position to be playing for a bit, judging by your description. Fingerstyle is almost definitely out, as you will be impacting the wound, regardless if you're not technically flexing it open.

Who knows, you might end up wincing a lot, and people will think you are " quite an into it, concentrating-intense mofo"

Seriously tho, NuSkin works good, but it won't hold up to the abuse of the strings. Nu Skin, covered by sport tape, or electrical tape...dependint on which feels better tactile-wise...(both will STILL be "alien" to you, so keep at it...)

Been there. You'll more than likely still end up with blood on yer strings.

6. I've tried all 3 and really the only difference in the Nu-Skin and Liquid Bandage stuff is that they smell like cloves. Otherwise it's pretty much all the same.

Super glue was made for this stuff.

http://www.fensende.com/Users/swnymph/refs/glue.html

7. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have heard that there is a difference between the super glue at your local drug store and the stuff that can be used medically. My understanding is that the ordinary super glue that you can buy is not good for you and can hurt you.

If your fingers are that badly messed up, I think you are foolish to try playing using them. Take the next two days and learn to play with your thumb and/or a pick. You really don't want to mess up your fingers to badly.

9. Three words: left hand tapping

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

One word: pick

11. HEY! I can still slap...and pop with my pinky. Maybe I'll get a Chapman Stick, learn it tomorrow, and pioneer the 7 finger tapping technique.

Yep...I think I'll be slapping my way through punk and reggae songs. I can't really hold a pick 'cause of the index finger cut.

12. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Ouch man, I can't even believe how much that sucks. Definitley try a pick or your thump. If its that deep then it won't be completeley healed for a while.

13. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i once slashed my left index pretty deep. had to rehearse that night, i played with the other fingers but it was a bloody mess anyway (good practise though). good luck playing.

14. When opening the box my first bass came in, on my day of excitement, I had finally got my bass, let the learning begin. Well I slashed my finger on the stanley knife opening the box. The learning didn't begin till 4 or 5 days later :D

Not funny at the time though.

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Three hours late and a dollar shorter :p

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, act like you got a pair and just play. Best elixir ever.

17. Actually, I think I'm gonna cancel the show, quit the band, give up bass, castrate myself, move to the wilderness, poke myself in the eye with a stick, and cry through my depression until some compassionate bear decides to eat me.

Yep. :crying:

ps. If you're a compassionate bear...eat me :D

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Slap will be ok with punk (i think) but for reggae use rather thumping - and I think it will even sit well with it.

If you have your hand bandaged, then you'll be able to hold the pick - but play softer with it, then, and rather turn the volume up

Good luck with it

19. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    The first one I can understand, and you have your objective and subjective reasons for that, but as for the rest? :eyebrow:
    Dont do it! i mean Dont give up bass, dont quit the band, dont castrate yourself, etc.
    Rather have a rest and take some Prozac and stuff ;)

20. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Just use your thumb. You don't have to slap, just play with your thumb.