1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old Bass Player New to Recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by R D Maynard, May 20, 2020.

1. I'm looking to put together a basic recording setup with which to add bass tracks to existing recordings done by a singer/guitarist I'm currently working with. He's using a Tascam DP008-EX for his tracks, and I'd like to take them home on an SD card or flash drive to add my tracks. I used to do this with cassettes on one of those PortaStudio units many years ago, which is kind of what I want to do now. But I'd also like to be able to do simple live recordings, with the ability to do a little bit of eq, effects, etc., in post. But I'm overwhelmed by all the choices that are now available. And I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Any suggestions?

( Btw, I'm sure this question has already been asked and answered somewhere, but none of my searches got me any useful info.)

2. filmtex

filmtex Commercial User

May 29, 2011
    S. Texas Hill Country
    Annsman Pro Audio Dealer
    Good on ya, I love recording. Just a couple of questions come to mind that will help help you.
    1. Are you a Windows or MacOS user?
    2. What kind of computer hardware do you have available right now? PC, laptop, iMac, MacBookPro etc? Processor, and RAM are the two most important specs.
    3. Have you ever used a DAW?
    4. What DAW is your singer/guitarist using?
    5. How many tracks are you looking to "take home"?
    6. Are you familiar with "stems"?
    7. How will you monitor while you record? Headphones, computer monitor speakers, recording monitors?
    8. Budget?

3. kevindahl

kevindahl

Aug 21, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    You will need a card reader of some sort to import the stems. Laptops will have them. I have never used a Mac so I can't offer any advice on them. A flash drive would be better, every PC and laptop have USB.

You will need an audio interface, to convert your bass signal to digital. There are many threads on interfaces. Consider purchasing one that comes with software. You don't really need speakers at this point,a good set of headphones will be fine.

You will need software to import the audio from the flash drive. Make sure you know the tempo of the stems. It makes it much easier to punch in. This is where the learning curve steepens. Setting up the interface with the software, arming tracks, setting recording levels, and monitoring while recording and playback are just the basics but if you are new to recording software then it can be quite daunting.

Once you finish recording your bass you will need to export your tracks(just bass) to the flash drive and give it to your partner.

Good luck.

4. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I'm also an old bass player new to modern recording.I bought an Arturia keyboard controller that offered free Ableton 10 light so when I try to download it I'm asked for a serial number presumably from the Arturia gear the Ableton came with.But when I enter the serial number I get a message saying "invalid number". The Ableton customer service is poor so I've been unable to reach them.I can't seem to even get to first base.

5. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    I mean... you could get a Tascam DP008-EX... if you already have a decent computer, you could save a little money on a new audio interface vs a new DP008. but if you're familiar with the porta-studio thing already, going this way would flatten out the learning curve hugely. used DP008s can be had for about the same price as a decent audio interface.

6. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I have one and have been familiar with hardware recording for years.I'd like to use the Ableton strictly for my keyboard controller.

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    right on then, you are looking forward towards an audio interface. Assuming you already have a computer that was built in the last 10 years you should be fine there. If you have a small budget (actual numbers would help if you want a recommendation for a specific device), just about any consumer-grade audio interface will offer the same performance and features. You may want to check reviews for reliability / compatibility with your computer's OS.

Ableton Live will do EQ, effects, let you use your keyboard to play virtual instruments or control effects parameters. If you already have and know how to use Ableton Live, great. If not, I would not suggest that as your first DAW. It's called "Live" because it's geared towards live performance. You can use a keyboard controller to control almost any DAW, and there are tons of plugins and virtual instruments available for free (Free VSTs | Free Music Plugins To Download For PC & Mac and a bunch of other sites) that will work with any DAW.

8. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Thanks for the kind advice.I have a Focusrite Scarlett 212 (still unopened) and I finally bought a laptop that meets or exceeds the required needs for what I'm trying to do.I just can't seem to download the Ableton live lite and their C.S. is non-existent.I plan to see if maybe Arturia can be of assistance.

9. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    what's your budget?

10. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Right now I have everything I need practically, the final piece of the equation being my recent purchase of an adeaquate laptop.My problems at the moment are technical .

11. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    I've had great results using a Macbook Pro. In May of this year I switched to a Mac Mini...but only because I didn't need a keyboard or display monitor. The Mini has been a great performer using Pro Tools.

12. kevmac

kevmac

Mar 17, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I just bought an Acer, which I like but I can't get the Ableton to download my Arturia serial numbers .The Ableton sends a message saying " invalid serial number" and their CS is lousy.I'm waiting for an answer from Arturia.

13. Bandlab Cakewalk is now free software: BandLab: Music Starts Here

Powerful free DAW for Windows...

kevmac likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021