1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Old vs new soundpost

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Bassalova, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Bassalova

Bassalova

Nov 16, 2008
    Anyone know if a new soundpost would sound better than a 30-year old soundpost?
    And does the diameter of the soundpost matter?

2. What's wrong with the soundpost? Is it chipped, or cracked, too long, too short? As the bass ages, the top can expand or contract slightly. This is usually fixed by a simple adjustment. If there's nothing wrong with the post, there is no need to replace it, doesn't matter how old it is. It may just need repositioned.
    Also, the Diameter on a sound post for a 3/4 bass should be about 3/4 inch.

3. Bassalova

Bassalova

Nov 16, 2008
    The soundpost is ok actually. I did a reset some months ago. Just thought I should check if there was any idea to replace the soundpost for better soundquality.

4. Grunnert makes an odd sound post which is actually conical (not comical). He says the back reacts better to thick sound posts and the belly reacts better to thin ones, so he solved this by making asound post ehich starts thin at the belly but fattens along the length until it's quite a bit wider at the back! I find this all a bit odd. Out of desperation I made my present sound post out of a broom handle and It's much better that anything I had the maker put in there! I guess you just have to try what works for your bass.
    FC