Oldest recorded bass guitar solo?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 13, 2021.

1. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Dr cheeseyou are right but there are recordings in the tutmarc family. I jut don't know if there are any bass solos because I never asked.....also the serenader bass was made from 1947 to 1950....there are some old guys that still have their's and I never asked them either....so I'll ask. also what do we define as a bass solo, how many measures????

2YhCGNA7I%2FAAAAAAAAJXQ%2FZM_9sJU7b2YRISpFnf2dRY45UGQwecrewCLcB%2Fs1600%2FPaul%252BTutmarc%252B3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
    Wisebass, design and Dr. Cheese like this.
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would say at least three or four measures of doing something besides the established bass line and the bass is either unaccompanied except for drums or other instruments are comping in support.

Passinwind and Bflat like this.
  3. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I wonder if anyone has ever tried to market the Tutmarc bass again? Short scales are really big these days, and that bass looks really compact. I wonder if they were light too?

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    There was a John Mayall album in 1970 called Empty Rooms. It includes a song called "To a Princess" which starts with a bit of Piano but it's basically a two Bass Duet with John Singing. It has a guess spot by Larry Taylor (Canned Heat) and Steve Thompson the Bluesbreakers bassist at the time. It may be the first electric Bass duet ever recorded.

scrumpymike and Michael4bass like this.
  5. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    Audiovox 8.5 lbs
    Serenader 7.5 lbs The Serenader sounds better since Bud slanted the pickup

6. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

I guess any thread I start ends up talking about gear.

Wisebass and design like this.
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool, thanks. I was sorry to miss your little GTG in Seattle when you did the pickup, a few of the guys who attended are pretty good friends of mine. It's a little far for a day trip for me although I still do that occasionally. I've seen the one at the old EMP exhibit and heard their more recent recordings and would love to hear it more in the context of how it was used with the Tutmarc amps and their family bands and whoever else was using them around Seattle. When I lived up there in the 80s I heard mention of the basses once in a while, but nothing really solid.

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    A couple of TB'ers have built pretty nice looking knockoff/tribute basses. I'll bet you could build one really light if you were optimizing for that.

design, Bflat and Dr. Cheese like this.
  9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

It was the result of happy accident equipment malfunction, similar to Paul Burlison(Johnny Burnette)dropping his amp(resulting in a loose tube), creating a fuzzy sound on “Train Kept A Rolling”, or Willie Kizart(Ike Turner/Jackie Brenston)dropping his amp, damaging the speaker which led to the buzz on “Rocket 88”. On the Robbins track, the mixer channel that session guitarist Grady Martin had a six-string bass plugged directly into went on the fritz, but the producer liked the sound and left it as-is.
    Otherwise, on this 1965 deep cut, Paul layed some fuzzy but thin ‘lead’ bass on top of his usual throbbing low end...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021
    scrumpymike and Dr. Cheese like this.
  10. Definitely a contender for 'earliest UK' as Jet Harris is generally agreed to be the first British P bass owner - though interestingly by circumstance rather than by choice. According to the official Fender P-bass history: "They were few and far between at first; in London, Shadows bassist Terence “Jet” Harris (so nicknamed for his sprinting prowess at secondary school) had received one of the first ones — if not the first Precision Bass in Britain — in 1959. He’d just joined Cliff Richard’s backing group when his Framus bass guitar was accidentally destroyed and a London importer gave him a Precision as a replacement." Can you even imagine a Framus bass in the Shad's line-up?!

11. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    No offence meant, but I absolutely hate jazz as much as I hate slap.
    The most soleless electronic chunder ever recorded. Never changed my mind in 50 years of bass playing. Cannot stand the sound of it. I can't possibly be the only one? If that was the sound of music I would never have taken it up. Very thankful for Beatles, Cream and Free who taught us there were options.

Lennon once said that before Elvis there was nothing, but for me, before Beatles there was nothing.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Everyone has an opinion, just like we all have something else too.:D

13. Sounds like the kind of thing Eastwood Guitars would do a run of if they got enough buy-ins.

14. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    hi Doc :)

Very interesting thread! :bookworm::bookworm::bookworm: :thumbsup: Good for the history channel! :D

Or some other Jazz cat. Live Jazz gigs often were recorded and broadcasted (the good old radio days),

but sadly most of them were never released as records.

Back to gear talk: :D (historic)

Yes I can! :D Brian Locking actually played Framus basses! :laugh: (he also played for Cliff Richards and the Shadows!)

And btw: Bill Wyman played Framus too (he even signed a three years endorsment in 1964!)

In the 50s Framus was the market leader in Europe

and among the first pro level instruments imported to Britain.

Fenders were rare birds! Terence (Jet) was lucky someone 'gave' him a Fender (did he have to pay for it?)

Protective import taxes made them too expensive to become popular. (Marshall plan)

So, yes I can imagine The Shadows with a Framus bass! (just like a lot of other bands)

:)

greetings

Wise

edit: sorry for the derail :D

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  15. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

Apr 20, 2011
    Yep and I respect your right to disagree. Opinions should never be flippant. I also don't like pedals on any kind on a bass. Just a bass guitar into and amp and a nice player to listen to. Guess that why the old players are referenced so much here.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  16. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Not the earliest, but still interesting: Eric Clapton and the Powerhouse, 1966, with Jack Bruce soloing on his Fender Bass VI starting at about 0:15.

17. You're right about the popularity of Framus basses back in the day. They were big on my radar too thanks to Wyman. I wasn't rubbishing them, just referencing the fact that the Shad's were always known as an all Fender lineup. Sorry for continuing the derail - I'm done now ;)

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021