Oldest recorded bass guitar solo?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Apr 13, 2021.

1. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Actually, Roy started using it at shows right away and was roundly booed by the audience !

design and dkelley like this.
  2. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    And Monk did NOT want to play the electric bass. Hampton told him he's pay his fare back home if Monk didn't want to play electric. So Monk decided he would play the electric.

Wisebass, design and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Yep; my bad. Faulty memory.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Exactly, but I think a post from a Tutmarc family member would satisfy me in this case, or at least be interesting to see. Seems like when you invent a new instrument you'd want to showcase it it as fully as possible, as Mr. Fender clearly did a decade or so later with what he may well have thought was his new invention, and most of us would say still was in some ways. All respect to Leo Fender for getting that done in any case!

Wisebass and Dr. Cheese like this.
  5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Breakdowns were the bass solos of some genres and earlier times.
    So I suppose one could discuss what constitutes a bona fide bass solo, but I'd argue it varies by the times and genres it was played in. I think this would hold true for all instruments; Parker and Bird would have gotten the boot out of erlier swing jazz bands, etc.

Wisebass, Passinwind and Dr. Cheese like this.

6. Believe me I know how it is.

7. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Too bad his brother George wasn’t there.

Guitalia likes this.
  8. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Not likely, Pappalardi was an east coast guy, and Town Hall Party was straight outta Compton. But who knows?

bobyoung53 likes this.

9. I'm sure you know this but actually during the 50's it was just called an EB, they didn't call it an EB-1 until they reissued it due to its popularity rising again because of Felix Pappalardi.

That Fontella Bass record is great, I loved it when it was new and still do, listening to it again after all these years I realize how close her voice was to Aretha Franklin's and also how close the production was to her stuff but it was on Chess records so nothing to do with Atlantic or Columbia.

10. design, LHbassist and Guitalia like this.
  11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

There were notorious bass solos by Jet Harris with The Shadows.
    I don't know if it was the earliest but it was early.
    Nivram was recorded in 1960 with a very solid solo on the bridge.

scrumpymike and Guitalia like this.
  12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That was a very nice solo indeed!

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Jet Harris also was one of the first to use effects on bass, reverb and tremolo mostly.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Wow! That bass fuzz solo really popped out of left field! It sounded like a trombone!

Jazz Ad likes this.
  15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Yeah this fuzz is incredible.
    Also not the oldest (1969) just a fine example of early bass solo with fuzz.

16. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Would have been helpful if you specified the earlier top 40 hit. ("My Generation," if that's what you had in mind, evidently made it to no. 74.)

17. Guitalia

Guitalia

Jun 7, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Yes! I was similarly shocked at the clarity of the recording---sure didn't sound that way on AM radio. (Fingers crossed that the original Captain Beefheart Safe As Milk album tapes turn up for remastering while I'm still alive to hear the result.)

bobyoung53 likes this.
  18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I never said a word about a top forty hit. If that had been the case, I would not have been talking about Monk Montgomery in my first post.

Wisebass and Playbyear like this.
  19. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    passinwind,
    I called Doug Tutmarc for you today but he wasn't home I'l let you know what he says........
    BASS HISTORY
    The First Electric Bass Guitar Player
    Tim-Fletcher-Bio-100x100.jpg

By

Tim Fletcher

Published on February 17, 2020
    ShareTweetSubscribe

Who was the first electric bass guitar player? It might have been Lorraine Tutmarc…
    In the early 1930s, Seattle musician, singer and inventor Paul Tutmarc had developed a pickup and used it to create a solid-body electric lap-steel Hawaiian guitar. This was similar to the ‘frying pan’ guitar developed by George Beauchamp, which was later manufactured by Rickenbacker, but Tutmarc’s design was perhaps more visually pleasing. He’d also been working on an electric double bass for a few years, and like Vega, Regal, Gibson, Rickenbacker and Dobro, Tutmarc’s designs had been focused on reducing the size of the instrument to about the proportions of a ‘cello.

Paul’s son, Bud Tutmarc recalls:
    “My dad, being a bandleader and traveling musician, always felt sorry for the string bass player as his instrument was so large that once he put it in his car, there was only enough room left for him to drive. The other band members would travel together in a car and have much enjoyment being together while the bass player was always alone. That is the actual idea that got my father into making an electric bass. The first one he hand-carved out of solid, soft white pine, the size and shape of a cello. This was in 1933.”

Advertisement
    5cf9e2ad-a840-451b-8bc2-ef711124b571.png
    The instrument he created was unfretted and designed to be played vertically like a double bass (see photo below).

tutmarc-bass-fiddle-664x1024.jpg
    Tutmarc’s ‘Electric Bass Fiddle’ 1933. Credit: Seattle Post Intelligencer/Bud Tutmarc

The ‘electric bass fiddle’ was not a commercial success, but Tutmarc was determined to develop his ideas further.
    He used his ‘Audiovox’ electric Hawaiian guitar design as the template for an electric bass guitar and by 1936 he had built what would be the first solid body bass guitar – a four-string fretted instrument intended to be played horizontally. It had one simple pickup and a single volume control, and the first recipient of this new instrument was his wife, Lorraine, who played in Paul’s Hawaiian music band.

Lorraine-Tutmarc.png

20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    This is cool, but it does not give an example
    of the earliest bass guitar solo.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021