1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

OLP MM-2 and Epiphone EB-3 SG?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rwe416, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Are either of these basses decent? Pros and cons. Sorry for the vague question but I am new and trying to learn. I can get either one for 2 bills(the Epi comes with a small Traynor amp).

2. BassmanAd

BassmanAd

Mar 19, 2008
    UK
    Both decent but both quite different.

Try them both before you buy if you can but if I was choosing myself I'd go with the OLP - probably more what you'd expect from a bass (and probably the better quality of the two). EB-3's are a bit of an aquired taste although I love them.

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Are you absolutely sure it's an EB-3 rather than an EB-0? As far as I am aware, the EB-3 doesn't come packaged with an amp.

I don't know what the other bass is, but I'd say to go with it as opposed to the EB - the neck dive on an Epi EB can be pretty brutal and hurt your shoulder after a time. Other than that, it's a nice lightweight instrument with decent sound.

4. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    OLP
    Pros: good sound, solid bass, light body as opposed to the MM counterpart.
    Cons: you have to dig in to really get the MM sound, not active.

Epiphone
    Pros: Might be more suitable for certain styles.
    Cons: Honky sound.

Personally I would get the OLP (I already have one :)), because I am not really fond of the honky sound the EB-3 produces and I didnt really like the playability. Then again, I am more familiar with the MM humbuckers and how I can rest my hand on them.

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    OLP are well made and with a few $$ can be hot rodded to sound better.

G

6. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Yea, forgot to mention, resting your thumb on the humbucker (neck) on either the EB-3 or EB-0 gives a most unpleasant fuzz sound.

7. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    I just bought and sold an OLP and was disappointed with the build quality. You may get lucky, but until you disassemble one of these (or any starter-level bass) you won't really know what you have.
    No opinion on the Epi.

8. The Epi is not the bundle package. This is on CL. Some guy is selling the bass and his practice amp.

9. I would opt for the OLP over the SG. The SG is short scale and has a rather muddy tone.
    I owned the OLP MM5 (5 string version) and it was a well built and great playing bass. I did not care for the pickup but they are easily upgraded.

10. he's not talking about the SG bass,the gibson one.he's talking about the EB-3 which is an epiphone.and no it is a long scale.

11. i've never played any OLPs before.but the EB-3 is solid,nothing spectacular,but it's a pretty good sounding bass.

*BTW,are OLP's even made anymore??

12. I sold an OLP and bought the EB-3. I was happy with both, and I sold the OLP because I have an old P which the OLP essentially duplicated. The EB-3 is a bit different from anything else I own.

I found the build quality good on both, with no problems around electronics, frets, etc. Both are heavier than average...over 9 pounds - but that's OK. I'd rather have the EB-3 in a short scale, but both are 34" scale. I recommend you lay hands on both and choose the one that feels best. My OLP balanced a little better than the EB-3.