OMG, a Flying V Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pacojas, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. ac100X

ac100X

Apr 6, 2003
    California
    There a cheep ones out there....with good pickups
    IMG_8501 The V.JPG

pacojas and Johnny Crab like this.
  2. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    I used to play an Ibanez Flying V bass back in the late 70's/early 80's. I had it for a few years and then it was stolen. :crying: 35 years later I discovered it in a guitar shop and bought it back. But what felt cool when I was a teenager felt uncomfortable when I was in my 50's, so I eventually traded it for something I'd play on a more regular basis.
    1980 Flying V.jpg
    IbanezVBass.jpg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    pacojas, B-Mac, Qlanq and 1 other person like this.
  3. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    After I picked up the Epi V I went looking for used ones on the internet . They must have been short runs because not many come up for sale .

RedVee likes this.
  4. hificase

hificase

Apr 27, 2021
    Can any V bass owners here send me dimensions? I'm building my own v bass but I really need the full width figured out. Are they really 20 inches wide?

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    Big Shrek and hificase like this.
  6. Don Summers

Don Summers

May 10, 2017
    Texas
    Flying V Bass history. Gibson did not make one but thanks to Hendrix, Billy Gibbons acquired a 58 Korina guitar in The Moving Sidewalks in late 67 and played it regularly. I loved it so I copied design in a mahogany body for my 64 Fender Jazz bass. I played it on The Sidewalks "Hendrix" Texas tour in February. After the show in Dallas it was stolen from our trailer. I played a loaned bass for the rest of those dates but as soon as i got back to Houston I went to work trying to make a more accurate V bass from my short scale Gibson EB-0 with and extra humbucker pickup. It was this bass that I constructed a swivel that became the first spinning bass. There is whole lot more to the story. In Johns book he said he felt cheated when he bought what he thought was an original rare Explorer bass. He said he paid 3500 pounds for it but I only got $750 when I sold it on consignment to Arnold & Morgan Music in Garland Tx. I guess we both got played by somebody.

Attached Files:

7. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Awesome anecdote Don, thanks!

Not sure if the John Entwistle Alembic Flying V bass has been mentioned already ...but here it is:

E4493072-7420-4EC5-9CB4-3AB9541566BE.jpeg

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021