OMG, a Flying V Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pacojas, Dec 17, 2015.

Tags:
  1. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Yeah, for me they are. That's how I play a V, too. - or try to, anyhow... Only trouble is, unless I wear some kind of "grippy" pants, the body wants to slide down my leg - so I have to keep pulling it back up ( which is even more annoying than dealing with neck dive) - and the tail end of the bottom horn pokes the Bejeezus out of my other leg's calf. It might work, if I glued a piece of inner tube to the edge of the body, and cut the last 4 inches of the "V" off, though... think I'll just play something else if I want to play sitting down...;)

pacojas likes this.
  2. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    image.jpeg

This 'flying v' is very memorable to me.

Jeremy Spencer with Fleetwood Mac at a small venue 'The Gardens' 1970. Admission was $2.50 and Fleetwood Mac was a full tilt british blues band. Part way into the show Spencer makes his appearance with this 'V' and absolutely mows the audience down with volume and slide lead solos.

I was 15 and had been playing bass for a year. That was a killer band and show.

pacojas, rodl2005 and Big Shrek like this.
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I think the next time MF has a SDOTD on V guitars, it's time...
    Earlier this year I passed it up, but now I'm thinking that V with a double-locking vibrato system would be pretty sweet :wideyed:

Big Shrek likes this.
  4. Blue Jeans are your friend ;)
    Works alright with decent board shorts too...lol

Straps are underrated for sitting, but in the case of a V, dang near a necessity...
    On the upside, once you get it set up properly for a strapped-in sitdown,
    it's pretty much LOCKED in place for some classical-style work!
    Hopefully would work the same on a bass...can't see how it would be much different,
    guess neck measurements are in order ;)

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    From what I can gather, the dimensions of my Eastwood bass are very close to those of the Gibson Flying V guitar. Close enough that I'm going to take a chance on an SKB case for the Gibson...:rolleyes:

6. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Yeah, right next to the leather pants, studded codpieces, and the teased and sprayed wigs.

7. The studded codpiece is responsible for one of the most well-known bass lines of all time...

Oh...my...the 80's...LOL
    And Yes, Levar Burton played the PD LT in that vid :D

8. jaybones

jaybones Inactive

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Oh yeah, I thought he looked familiar.

Didn't recognize him without the Laforge visor or the young Kunta Kinte hair style.

And while there was a codpiece in that video is was neither studded nor leather. Looked more like hard red plastic...

And just the other day I was texting with my former bandmate and good friend Reggie about the new Thor Ragnorak (sp?) movie he had just seen. Mentioned the Stan Lee cameo, and he texted back I love cameos Word Up! see what I did there?

Big Shrek likes this.
  9. He did have quite the selection of codpieces...some things are stuck in your
    brain, no matter how you try and excise them..LOL

The haircut, the Freddy Mercury Mustache...nobody remembers those...LOL

10. Zac Le Sauvage

Zac Le Sauvage

Mar 6, 2018
    I have this Wesley flying v bass. Really punchy tone with awesome action. Looks beautiful too received_382858538928917.jpeg

Big Shrek and 12BitSlab like this.
  11. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    I love the look of the Gibson flying V bass, but those are short scale.

12. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    That's cool. I love a triangle headstock. Is that 34" scale or shorter?

13. Vooter

Vooter

May 11, 2009
    Bronx, NY
  14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Here
    See? This is why I play Explorer-shapes when the mood hits me.......Vs are pointy cool but Explorers are much more ergonomic and just as pointy cool :D

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    etherealme likes this.
  15. Zac Le Sauvage

Zac Le Sauvage

Mar 6, 2018
    Yes, it is a 34" scale

16. Not a Bass, but it is a Flying V....which I got for my 7yr old son ;)
    Epiphone Vee Wee, plays pretty nice for a itty bitty guitar!
    They used to call them the Vee Wee as a brother to the Epiphone Pee Wee kids guitar.
    Currently they are made under the "Gibson Maestro Roadie Flying V" banner.
    VeeWee.jpg

pacojas likes this.
  17. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9btkeN05-8
    I've been using Flying Vs as my main live basses for a few years..
    Here are the two I have made. 34815541_1948080871869355_3631425033798156288_n.jpg
    44286416_1985783211487429_122422609638850560_n.jpg

and more Vs
    33583427_1932978803379562_5346311750314622976_n.jpg

18. This thread makes me want a Flying V.

Plus Albert King played one while smoking a pipe. I want this look! :D

7.jpg

pacojas likes this.
  19. FirstHelmetDrop

FirstHelmetDrop

Jan 17, 2020
    I got a Flying V bass of my own just a couple of weeks ago. Used Epiphone bass that costed me around $800 dollars. It's essentially a Thunderbird with a different shape, but that's exactly what I wanted it to be so I'm happy. Plays like a dream!

Attached Files:

• my v.jpg
      my v.jpg
      File size:
      793.4 KB
      Views:
    RedVee likes this.
  20. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    IMG_6042.JPG I've had an Epi V for a while now . It thunders . It didn't take long to get comfortable sitting down with it . Standing it's lightweight and surprisingly balanced . Comfortable . I was buying a Ric 4000 from a friend and noticed the V , played it for about five minutes and bought the Ric . And then couldn't get the V out of my mind . I called him about six weeks later , after I had managed to put some money back in the "gear" fund and he still had it . Sold . Gigged it enough to break even and now mostly just play it at home , but I'm quite taken with it . Very enjoyable bass ! The hardshell case though is huge ... a friend was using a Firebird guitar and we jokingly started to call him "Big Case" ... I get it now .

RedVee likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021