1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Omni 12 Review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, May 7, 2006.

1. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I just finished building a pair of Omni 12's using plans from Bill Fitzmaurice; the boxes are unusual, with a 12 firing down thru a rectangular port, with a midrange at the back of a 10" horn.. I built a pair because I had a pair of Eminence Delta 12 LF's to spare, and because I wasn't sure that a single cab could really meet my needs. The design goals for me were ease of carry (50# or less), wide coverage (lots of bass cabs are very directional at high frequencies), and reasonably loud (1 should be enough for a typical bar gig). There were 2 options I did not pursue- I did not use a tweeter (seemed optional on a bass guitar) and I did not wire in a crossover (I had biamp capability already).

The plans are very complete, and anyone who could handle the minor soldering involved and use a Skilsaw could make an Omni 12. Thankfully, the glue used is very, very, good and able to fill gaps. The plans don't call for using the glue as Bondo, but it's a nice option to have mistakes happen. I have built a dozen or more common direct radiator speaker cabs, and that usually takes just a few days. Allow plenty of time to do these right; I spent about 2 weeks on and off. I chose to use double Speakons for both cabs, and extra feet for stacking various ways. I used about the most primitive finish possible, a gallon of $13 black Wal Mart Floor Paint (and half a gallon is left for patching).

I used these at 3 outdoor shows, with decent PA support. On the first show, I used both cabs with my QSC RMX-1450 with the level at about 10:00 . On the other shows I used a single cab with the level at about 50% (that amp should be capable of about 225w per cab max). In both cases I was using my Yamaha PB1 as a preamp and biamp crossover (about 500hz). The specs indicate the midrange is about 3db more sensitive so I set that about 3db lower at the power amp.

I found the Omni 12 to have a nice flat response. The 8" midrange is very smooth with no obvious peaks. There is no need for me to have a tweeter (DR Hi Beams on a P-Bass, no slap, pop, etc). The cabs have plenty of low end. I had nothing but good reports of band members being able to hear me clearly. They are not terribly heavy but are easier as a 2-man lift because they are fairly wide. They are not unusually deep so my rack units hang over the back a bit; no harm done and plenty stable. A pair of them stacked with my rack units comes to eyebrow level.

I include 3 pics, in all of them there are (2) 2-space SKB racks on top for scale. The band name and BF logo are behind 1/8" plexiglass, while the other cab has a band logo behind plexiglass. The cabs truly are square, but the camera angles are less than ideal.

Whenever you build a new speaker cabinet, there is an initial period of happiness where you are proud of how your work turned out. Mine have been finished for about 6 weeks, and I have used them in several shows. Overall I am very pleased. These are a 'compromise' cab- there are plenty larger and smaller, lower and louder. BUT all cabs are a compromise in
    some way and these are a very effective compromise for a bass guitar player doing typical bass guitar things with common equipment. I would say that a single Omni 12 should be about
    as loud as a common 1x15 and louder than a 2x10. They may not be as loud as a typical 4x10 but it should be much less directional and so audience coverage should be better.

The plans are a bargain at under $20 .

http://personal.palouse.net/jcork/jerry/halfstack_sm.jpg
    http://personal.palouse.net/jcork/jerry/backview.jpg
    http://personal.palouse.net/jcork/jerry/onstage.jpg

2. I figured you would like it...

:D

3. I'm playing a TFB550 into an Omni 12 = Awesome! :cool:

~ Charlie