On the fence due to weight....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by two fingers, Jan 24, 2022.

1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I'm 50 years old, but in good shape. That said, I'm not sure how I would do with a 10 1/2 pound bass around my neck for a gig.

In my area, there's a screaming deal on a bass I REALLY like. I did hundreds of gigs with an 11 pound version several years ago. I recall it felt heavier than my other basses. But I don't recall avoiding it due to weight. Like I said, I did a LOT of gigs with that bass!

I think I could flip it if it winds up being just too heavy.

Spitball with me. Throw out the first thing that comes to mind. I need to talk this out.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2022
  2. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Dooo ett. Flip later if you must

3. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    That's excellent news. Start looking after your back now, when you don't need to, and you'll stay like that.

Roger W, roccobass, TrevorR and 16 others like this.
  4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I'm 56, with neck issues. I have a parts Fender I've owned for 36 years. For a few years I avoided playing it on gigs, but now I m playing it more again.

Try it out. Unless it feels like a total boat anchor, get it, and a nice wide padded strap with some of the money saved on your "screaming deal".

5. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    I'm assuming you already own a nice, wide strap to mitigate some of the burden of heavy-ish instruments?

If not, get a wide strap and get that bass! :)

6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yep, try it out. You might be able to shave some weight through a bridge swap, or tuner swap. But if it’s calling to you, you owe it to yourself to at least give it a shot!

7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I'm 63 and occasionally gig with a T40. I laugh at death!

icefly, Roger W, Helix and 68 others like this.
  8. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Get it.
    You're fit, and with a wide strap that weight shouldn't be an issue.

Whale guy, kwdhsk, halcyo and 4 others like this.
  9. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Go lighter. You're over the hump, so if you do something to your back, it's probably going to be permanentish.

10. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    First off, sometimes up to one full lbs can come off of the weight of a bass with hardware changes. Lighter tuners. Lighter bridge. Replacing metal knobs with plastic or aluminum. Dumping the pick guard. Aluminum strap buttons. Buying Alumitone pickups.

IMO, the worst thing about a heavy bass is...........RESALE! It is very difficult to sell a heavy bass guitar and it is usually the first words out of a potential buyer's mouth............."How much does it weight?"

11. Get the bass! You don't have to play it all night. Alternate with another bass or two. Also, invest in a nice, thick 4 inch wide padded strap... it does wonders!

12. ..."sometimes up to one full lbs can come off of the weight of a bass with hardware changes"...
    ^^^^^^^^
    This is great advice!

Roger W, Spidey2112 and two fingers like this.
  13. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    There are a couple of new double straps that will distribute the weight of the bass evenly over both your shoulders. I use the Duo Strap from Gruv Gear expensive but IME worth it. That said my favorite Lakland 55-94 is 8.5 lbs. With the Duo Strap it’s very comfortable. My other Lakland is 55.94 is 9.5 lbs and feels fine with the Duo Strap.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    The only way to find out whether an instrument meets your needs is to take it out on the gig. The rest is hearsay.

I do tend to prefer lighter instruments; but, not for the reasons most talk about. I just find that the lighter instruments tend to have preferable (to me) resonant characteristics. And, I will admit that resonance is purely a playing thing. My heavier instruments sound excellent through the signal chain, even though they don’t vibe as much. I just like the vibe. For me, it is an acoustic thing, not a weight on the shoulder thing. YMMV

But, I sure hope this thread doesn’t dissolve into the pointless macho exchanges usually associated with this topic. Really sick of those.

Roger W, gscroggin, five7 and 5 others like this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    If it's heavy enough to do inverted curls with it, I say get it and get in even better shape.

scott sinner and two fingers like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Too late... let's all get our Popeye on! Spinach, on the house!

17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

... hahahahaha ....
    3f3dc0492aa83c94db21207368d508dc.gif
    :D

18. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    Love My Dogs
    I was thinking this after thread title....
    fatman.jpeg

MeLikeBass, gg22, Shepsdad and 6 others like this.
  19. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

I'll be honest. I was beyond thrilled to find a few extraordinary basses that weigh around 8.5 pounds. I love all of them and scoffed at anything over 9 pounds.

Then I got a Dingwall bass. 6 pounds, 10 oz. Sounds huge...sounds bigger than any of my other basses and plays better. Now sadly I can't play my other basses, no matter how awesome they are. They just feel like boat anchors now.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022