1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

'Onboard' feedback loop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bhass, Oct 4, 2009.

1. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Lately I've been wanting to create musical chaos, and decided that a feedback loop would be a good start. Because there's little parts involved in the pedal I was going to build, I wondered if I could build it into my bass. Unlike other effects this idea could actually be practical because there isn't any need for power.

Can it be done?
    If it can, how would I go about putting the pedal design into my bass: (without the true bypass stuff ofcourse)

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/PedalHacker/LooperWithFeedbackLoop.gif

Presumably the send would be the output of my bass, and the return would go out the 'real' output into my amp?

2. Sunflies Matty

Sunflies Matty

Jan 30, 2009
    you would need something inthe loop in order to make noise.
    a baisc fuzz would do it!

3. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    So the output of the bass wouldn't go in the 'loop'?

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    If you built one into your bass you'd have 3 cables coming out of it, instead of 1. Sure, it sounds kind of cool in a Mad Max sort of way, but personally I wouldn't want to deal with that. Also, yes, they do need power. So make that 4 cables.

The point of a feedback loop is to make pedals feed into one another endlessly. If you just fed your bass into it and nothing more, I don't know if it would even do anything besides perhaps a light chorus sound. Could be wrong, but I did just eat a large breakfast, so please bear with me.

EDIT: you know, I could be entirely wrong. Perhaps with an onboard active EQ, it could work.

http://www.regurgitron.com/diynoise.htm

5. Why not put a delay pedal guts in your bass? like, get a DD-3 and wire it in your bass so you can tweak knobs in real time. I know a guy who did that with his guitar, and he had loads of fun. Sure, it was a pain trying to squeeze it all in, but one he got it it was pretty rad during the live show. Of course, he once forgot which knob was the volume, and tweaked the wrong knob, so instead of dropping the volume he made this really loud sound that I can only describe as awesome in an world-ending kind of way. Like, it was the sound of a delay oscillating through a bank of other delays that started self oscillating.

6. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Well I've always liked the idea of inbuilt effects, although I have a hatred of batteries. The feedback loop only needs power for the LED?

Onboard delay would be awesome.

Edit:
    If I have a simple cable connecting the send and return inside my bass, then wouldn't I still get feedback? The signal from my bass feedbacking through the loop?

7. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I think your right, the battery is only for the led.

Yes, you would still get feedback, as shown in the page posted by nad, you get feedback with no pedal in the loop.

Instead of using a send and return jack with a cable connecting them inside your bass, just skip the jacks and connect the wires together. That should work fine, since you aren't actually sending it to anything.

8. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    So I would have one knob and all the way down I would have clean bass, and as soon as turned up I could get feedback? Very tempting.

9. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Let's say if I wanted to go a step further and put a Subdecay Noisebox into my bass, then what would be a practical way of powering it? Is there a way where I can have a switch which cuts off the battery and signal going to it; to prevent the battery being run down when I'm not using it?

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    No. Electricity does not flow in such a way, what you would have done is simply shorted out the input to the output. You won't get feedback, especially since the circuit posted is a passive one (no buffers)

You use a stereo jack and use the Ring and Sleeve connections as your switch. I think this precludes using a onboard preamp.

There are 2 ways of getting feedback. Electrically, you could use a very short delay in the loop, along with a volume control in the loop or a expression pedal controlling feedback amount.

Physically, just touch your headstock to your amp, or use a Sustainiac.

11. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The Beavis feedback loop is passive and does not require power. I just built one for a friend.

You would need mad space to do this...and pedals hooked into your bass...

Why not build a box w/ an external expression that you can attach to your bass (like a little box with a knob on it...

12. Bassman203

Bassman203

Mar 29, 2008
    Chicagoland
    You'll want a switch to turn the feedback loop on and off. I think it might require a dpdt switch