Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Onboard tuner?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassteban, May 5, 2005.

1. Does anyone here have experience w/onboard tuners(not tuning machines)? I know Wittman makes(or made)one- any others?

2. Anyone? :meh:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    One more thing that could go wrong in my opinion.

I like everything passive on a bass, few or no moving parts.

4. Strings are moving parts. :bag:

Nah, that's cool. It's pretty unlikely I would put one in, unless it were very low-vis. This is for an upcoming custom, so as I ever-so-slowly build my finances, I mull over details. W/a tuner, though, it wouldn't kill the gig if it went out, it would save space in the gig bag, & make onstage & even mid-song tuning easier.
    I do appreciate 'keeping it simple' but I can just as easily go off the deep end(no pun, intended or otherwise)w/knobs, switches & mini DVD players. I like that no-knob 10 string Conklin of Stew's as well as those 27-band/Q-switch/invisiblity fader/anti-suck-knob Alembics. W/a bit of luck, I won't find one, or the builder will tell me tuners are for weenies. :eyebrow:

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    tuners are for weenies ;)

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Once I put forth the question as to why they don't include tuners on amps, and thought I was going to get burned at the stake. I have trouble understanding why people are so against amenities like tuners incorporated into gear. But, whatever.

I know there are several Ovation guitars that have onboard tuners - my guitarist at church swears by it. Can't see it from the crowd side, very unobtrusive.

I for one, think it would be great.

7. I have a '68 Vox bass w/onboard bass/treble boost, distortion & 'tuner'- it's actually a switch-activated G tone, for tuning by ear. Maybe something like that... :rollno:

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Nah, get the real deal! Gutting an tuner pedal and mounting the display on the top side of the bass, and maybe putting the guts in an expanded control cavity shouldn't prove to be impossible for a professional-type luthier.

'Course, I could very well not know what I'm talking about. But hardwiring pedals to basses has been done before. (I believe Eric Cameron did it to one of his basses...)

9. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I use a tuner before I practice or record something on my own. When I am playing music with others I tune to the situation. If you are playing with a pianist, everyone has to tune to the piano. If you're playing with an orchestra, everyone tunes to the oboe. Tuning in a group setting is relative.

Joe

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    David King has an onboard tuner as an option with his bass line. Don't know how well it works, though.

www.kingbass.com

Riis

11. I think it would be one of those little additions to a custom that could be really cool. It like the whole LED argument. Some people are going to like and some aren't. It's your bass and there is nothing wrong with doing what you want with it.