1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Once you go fretless....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Xanthyon, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ...you never go back. lol, or at least I won't:smug: I recently defretted my Gsr200 and today was the first day I got to play it with my band. All i can say is wow. It played and sounded great. I couldn't be happier with it! The only downside is i can tell the strings seem to be scratching the fretboard, so ill just pick up a new fretless neck n ill be good to go! Fretless Bass + Heavy Metal make a wonderful combination.

:D:D:D

2. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    If they're messing up the fingerboard, may want to go for flatwounds or halfwounds. Roundwounds will wear your fingerboard faster regardless of whether it's a new neck or not.
    Of course, if you really gotta have rounds, you can reduce the wear with technique- make sure never to bend the strings. Or put epoxy or something on it, other people here know more about it than me.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Everything Oric said has become Fretless Law. Abide by it... or else.

4. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    +1 :bassist:

5. 1009

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago
    Of course bending strings on a fretless doesn't make a ton of sense, but I imagine it's hard to get used to not doing it.

6. How would Coated strings work? Wanted to get DR Black Beauties

7. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    But the BIG slide to a low root note.....

Priceless!:hyper:

Forget the Black B's... Flat (Chromes) or the GHS Ground Roundwound (Bright sound) work best IMO.

8. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yes. Until they make flatwound Black Beauties, keep with the halfs or flats.

9. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    If you like the sounds of roundwounds on your fretless, I'd suggest trying D'Addario Chromes flatwounds.I just put them on my fretless Jazz and I love them. They sound much more like roundwounds than any other flatwound I've tried, and they feel great, and won't eat up the fingerboard.

10. +1 on epoxy I'm not a big fan of flats
    and if it starts to scratch off all I need to do is add a coat :D :D

11. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    I'm sure I've seen black flats somewhere....

Not DR's but yeh...

12. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I put some LaBella tapes on my fretless. Apparently they are rounds with flat black nylon tape on top, so they sound very bright, but feel great and protect the board. I got them from Carvin.com for $25 for a 5-string set - can't beat that

13. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    I have a fretless and it bores me to death xD

14. Hi
    I use Half-Round Strings on my fretless Basses...

th_faim.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. +2 :D :bassist:

16. I enjoy the sound of roundwounds, but I'll agree it's a little harsh on the FB. If you like rounds, I think the sound is enhanced with semi-synthetic fingerboards or epoxy. I also use LaBella DTB bass strings on my Rob Allens which have a very nice deep and warm sound.

17. A huge +1:D
    I got into fretless, and now i am trying to get rid of all my fretted basses.

I hate the dead tone of flatwounds.
    I use D'Addario nickel roundwounds on my 2 fretless' and they sound great.

Just play the bass...
    If you wear out the fingerboard, have it sanded down.

18. :confused: I thought that tapewound strings were mellower than flats?

19. lase

lase

May 5, 2008
    Fretless is just amazing. I actually run a blog all about them xD. Going to get a new one thats more advanced when the funds support :p The tax people has my money come today.