1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Bass...no GAS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by racket, Jul 17, 2008.

1. racket

racket

Jul 26, 2005
    Riverside, Ca
    FMIC Employee
    I know there's at least 100 threads about "if you could only have one bass"... Well I only have one bass, and find myself NOT GASing over any others. Just wondering if anyone else feels the same way?.

Before I started on bass I played guitar and was on a never ending quest for tone, ending up with 9 guitars and 12 amps. I've been playing bass for the last 5yrs and I feel weird not lusting after different bass's etc... My one GAS ending bass is an 03' Lakland Duck Dunn Pbass. Anyone else?.

2. P. Lacey

P. Lacey

May 15, 2008
    wow man

you should bottle some of your blood and market it as a cure for GAS.... you'd be a millionaire lol

3. If you want to keep it that way - Leave this place immediately! I succumb to GAS way too often!

;)

Seriously though, if you're happy with one bass then great. Nothing weird in that. Nice choice too!

4. well yeah i too feel the same way. i just have a squier jazz bass and i dont really every gas for anythign else, i have played a lot of other basses and a lot of very expensive basses but no i am never pushed from inside to get one for myself. maybe because i dont have the kind of money, but i think its because i know there is so much more to learn and there is so much more i can do with this bass. its has a few issues but there are ways to counter them and maybe yeah i would get a better bass someday but thats very far from now

5. fretlessman71

fretlessman71 Still beats havin' a job Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2005
    FoCo, NoCo
    The only stuff I GAS for is cheapo basses that sound WAY better than their price tag. There's a lot of personality in those instruments - I have about 11 basses that you could pile in a corner and stick a $2000 price tag on. Keeps costs down. :cool:

6. When I sold all of my basses, and went down to just a single bass I thought my GAS was cured.

I felt fine for a few months, then it started again.

I don't think there's a cure!

:D

(now I'm back up to three so far).

:)

7. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    I wish I has your will power.
    If only there was Beano for GAS...

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I too don't GAS for anything at the moment and have not done for a good while.
    I love my amp, I play the bass, the sound of which I like better than any I have heard and all I would like is another bass exactly like the one I have now, in order to have a back up.

9. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    What happens if you blow a string on a gig, or drop the bass, or step on the cable and stuff the jack? One bass is asking for trouble - you should have a backup for live work, even if it's just an SX :)

10. +1

The only way to have just one bass is to take up DB:D

11. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have played for 34 years and hardly ever brought more than one bass to a gig. Even when I was touring/playing 7 days a week for a straight 10 month period --- one bass. I still play 99% of my gigs with 1 bass and only bring a second, my SX fretless, if the gig might call for it. I have blown a string two or three times in all those years, but if you know your way around the neck well enough, it's possible to work around a blown string. Been there, done it. Never dropped a bass. Can't figure out how that could happen unless you're being careless, drunk or letting some fool handle your equipment. Stuffing the jack? Simple solution - run your cable through your strap.

Maybe I have been lucky. Maybe good handling practices render good results.

12. i have sold all my basses but THE ONE. and i definitely don't gas for any more basses. but i will admit that i'd like a new amp though:D.

i don't know if this counts, but i double, so i consider having one electric and one upright to still put me in the ONE bass category. and i am completely happy with both my electric and my doublebass. i couldn't be happier. and i wouldn't trade either of them for ANY other instruments!

over the years i have had alot of expensive axes. customs and stuff that cost way over $2K. but my current set-up is all i need. my upright is just incredible. an absolutely perfect instrument. end of story.

as far as the electric bass goes. my babydoll/workhorse/go-to/holy-grail/funkmachine/bass-of-doom is my frankenstein fretted four string. assembled out of spare parts. ugly as hell and not worth a dime to anyone else but me. but i swear, i wouldn't sell this bass for $5K!

my wife split on me a year and a half ago, and i lost the house, cars, dogs, everything. all i got to keep was my motorcycle and my basses. so, when i needed money to buy my new house. i decided to trim the fat, i realized that this bass was always the first one i'd reach for. every single time. it sounded the best out of all my electrics and it was lighter and more comfortable than any of the others. it was always the bass everyone wanted me to use for ALL of my different gigs. it sits perfectly in the mix, and it just records wonderfully.

so i sold all my other basses. i guess i'll just keep taking extra strings to my gigs, and if i break something, i'll just have it fixed. same with the upright!

but the amp situation... different story!;)

13. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I decided to trade in a couple of basses, get down to just two electric - and one acoustic/el...and thought that was it. One main bass, one backup, and the acoustic for the occassional open mic or what have you.....that lasted about five minutes until I saw a Fender Jazz - Olympic white, tort guard, maple finger board hanging on the wall at my local music store. Now I've been selling of a bunch of old gear to raise funds for a jazz bass.

14. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    well i no longer have only one bass but i still have my first bass. THis was also my ONLY bass for the first 12 years of my bass playing life and i never GASsed for any other basses. I guess about 5 years ago was the first i ever really had bad GAS. now i have another but still gassing for more. I miss the simpler days when i just had one and was perfectly content with it.

15. Wise words from Idoru! Even since I learned the hard way (at age 17), I have ALWAYS brought along two basses (usually my MIJ jazz bass and one of my Yamahas).

Out in the truck I always keep spare strings, a spare amp (carefully hidden), and a spare lead singer.

16. Well, I had only one bass for 25 years and quite honestly, I did have some gas over the years for some instruments I have admired, but really didn't take any action on it, until I found this place!
    Been a member here for maybe 3-4 months and I now have three basses and two amps! This place is killing me!
    I'm also currently seeking a gas reliever as I have been actively trying out new basses and seeking advice fro the good folks here, with respect to some of the higher end basses out there.
    I think I need BEANO!
    fishheadjoe!

17. I have 3 basses, huge amounts of GAS, and $1600 burning a hole in my pocket. ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

18. jimmy rocket

jimmy rocket

Jan 24, 2008
    Ayden, NC
    +1

Played my first and only bass (a MIA Jazz) for 10 years before the GAS struck and I woke up one day with a fiver in my hands. Thought that would do it, but I've been eyeing up some of those Rondo fretless basses lately.

19. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    +2
    Me too. I want to venture in to the 6er arena and the fretless arena, and as cheap as thier fretless 6ers are i might as well go that way.

20. I had a Fender Jazz 75 RI for 9 years without GAS until I found this forum :)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021