1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

One Control Red Crimson Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stu_Bass, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Is there anyone using this that can report in on their experiences with it?

kevmac likes this.
  2. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    I'm curious as well.

3. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Haven't listened to the demos yet, but sounds like an interesting and different approach to the control scheme. Not sure if there's anything else like this on the market?

4. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Because I don’t track One Control’s progress, I learned about the Crimson Red Bass Preamp (CRB) only today. Searching now, I see that at least a few TalkBass members were using one since at least last October. I just ordered one from my friend, who is a dealer.

The Hooker’s Green Bassmachine (HGB) is killing it in front of my Subway D-800+. With my D-800+, I plan to use the CRB and HGB as a clean/dirty channels setup, or as alternates singly.

Judging only by the CRB demos I heard: Those two pedals share the same basic low end voicing. They differ in that the CRB retains high frequencies and stays mostly clean, while the HGB is dark and always overdrives.

gregmon79, emjazz and Stu_Bass like this.
  5. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Please submit a review if possible. it would be a big help to get an unbiased, hands-on opinion

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello. The control scheme looks to be distinctive, I agree. Functionally, though I can't think of other pedals with a similar sonic goal that are as tiny as the CRB, I own some pedals that have audio traits in common:
    • Barber Electronics Linden EQ
    • Diamond Pedals BCP1 Bass Comp
    • Fuzzrocious BDPG (ver. 1 or 2)
    • Fuzzrocious Dark Driving with treble mod
    • Menatone Kar Krash
    • Tronographic Rusty Box
    • VFE runoffgroove Azabache

Driven Crane likes this.
  7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Unbiased, I can't guarantee. :) But at least I'm not on One Control's payroll, so I'll do my best. :D

Stu_Bass likes this.
  8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It sure does fatten things up. That's just based on the videos I watched through a stereo with sub.

9. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I'm interested in how this contributes to ones toanz instead of using a LPF

10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Today was the day. My new One Control pedals arrived this week, and today I was able to pick them up. In addition to the CRB, I got a Tri Loop (very cool, easy to program, and like having four pedals in one).

In summary, the CRB (Crimson Red Bass Preamp) is not quite what I expected, but I like it. This pedal reflects a particular idea of the old machines it purports to emulate; a selective and romantic idea, in my opinion, but in any case musical and useful. I found the CRB to be sexy and gratifying to play, especially with fingerstyle.

Compared to the HGB (Hooker's Green Bassmachine), the CRB is a mid-less bass monster with muted highs, to the HGB being a resonant and articulate growler. And this is from someone who describes the HGB as being a "dark" overdrive pedal.

But dark is not the same as bass-y, and spectral response overall is only one third of the deal. The other two thirds are compression and drive. In all three respects these two pedals differ, though they share an evident sonic relation and apparent conceptual origin. That is, their respective sonic ranges overlap somewhat, and it's easy to believe that the same person designed both.

Here is a quick demo. The setup:
    • Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass with attrib. 1966 Fender pickups >
    • Tri Loop (white mode, buffer always on) >
      • three Tri Loop states: 1. clean, 2. CRB, 3. HGB
    • FEA Labs DE-CL (comp. and limiter on) >
    • Mesa Boogie D-800+ preamp ("Snaxster flat" settings) >
    • TC Electronic Ditto X2
    The three instances of the song cycle are, in order, 1. clean, 2. CRB, 3. HGB. The space between cycles is arhythmic because the switching scheme was new to me. The song is one of my favorites by The Ramones. It came to mind, I copped it enough to use for the demo, and... showtime:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
    triviani and Flabzilla like this.
  11. Johno Dunn

Johno Dunn Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2007
    Carpinteria, Ca.
    I would LOVE to hear the CRB & the HGB combined.
    Johno!

12. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Color me interested in the Hooker's Green.

13. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Johno, though my habit is to not stack processors of the same make or designer, and though I predict that these two pedals' spectral response would conflict (twice the low end and a negation of the HGB's mids), I will try it. If I hear anything nice, I will report. :)

14. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    It's a good one. At first, about a year ago, I liked the Hooker's Green Bassmachine and mostly filed it away. These past few weeks, though, it won me over. I think it's an excellent example of how much useful power can be packed into an elegant micro pedal; even more so than the Crimson Red Bass Preamp. These One Control micros even take batteries!

Guiseppe, DistroHopper and emjazz like this.
  15. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    any more info on these?

16. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I'd still like a detailed description of what the knobs do. i'm still a bit confused other than the high cut function. It doesn't seem to be a LPF.

17. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Thanks for the demo! Do you mind cutting one without additional compression ?

18. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    You're quite welcome. If I can find time, I will. Meanwhile, there are demos on YouTube.

In fact, some are embedded in the product page:

Crimson Red Bass Preamp

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    monsterthompson likes this.
  19. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    [​IMG]

20. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I find the description of the controls and saying that "giving deep bottom" adds shimmer to be confusing as hell

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 26, 2020