Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

One mic rehearsal recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funkateer, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Funkateer

Funkateer

Jul 5, 2002
    Los Gatos, CA
    Band comes over next Thursday to practice in my small studio (approx 12x14'). I want to keep the rehearsal recording process simple, so I'm thinking one mic. What type? How positioned? I am thinking maybe something like an AKG c3000b at the far side of the room. Or perhaps some omni mic in the middle of the room. The mic will go into a Behringer mixer and then onto my laptop (cubase/echo layla).

Any guidance gratefully received.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have done similiar recordings for my band. If you can do any monitoring to check balance that would be good. If it where me I would make it farthest from the drums, but not behind guitar and bass. Up high in the middle in omni should probobly get it done. Use your ears, thats the best advise, besides, its quick and dirty for reference right? Just don't clip it.

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't done a recording this way in a long time. I remember never being able to hear vocals or bass. So try and position the mic in favour of those. Don't worry, the guitars and drums will come through loud and clear no matter where the mic is.

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    My band did this for a long time. It actually worked well. We hung an EV Co9 about 6 feet off the ground. We did many test recordings and adjusted volumes accordingly. It ended up sounding great. It was a great blend of everything.

5. Crown PZM-30D (or equiv.) taped to a flat wall, or the floor. Two (2) if you have them, placed 8 feet apart at head height on the long wall will be quite impressive in stereo, and will blow your mind if the acoustics of the room are good.

- Wil

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Crown PZM-30D (or equiv.) taped to a flat wall, or the floor. Two (2) if you have them, placed 8 feet apart at head height on the long wall will be quite impressive in stereo, and will blow your mind if the acoustics of the room are good.

Agreed, although I like two adjacent walls at head height. Depends on the room and band configuration, or course. Even the Radio Shack ones (the Crown-licensed version) aren't too bad, but PZM-30 or PZM-6 are definitely nicer. They go for under $100 on eBay pretty frequently.

7. I too have worked with this same setup, in a room about as small (if not smaller) than what you're talking about. I haven't tried the mics-on-the-wall trick, but I get some pretty decent results with an SM58 about 4 feet off of the ground, kinda close to the singer's PA. We're pretty loud, and the singer can't turn up too much or we just wind up getting mad feedback. Anyway, keep in mind that the higher you place your mic, the more cymbals you'll catch, and vise-versa for the kick-drum. And definitely do some sound tests before hand to figure out the best mic position.