1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ONLINE COURSES

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by graphics1988, Jan 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Hey guys...
    I have been playing for a little while now - and i've dabbled in a few online courses, (as well as done real life lessons)...being self -employed, i couldn't always commit to scheduled lessons - so instead of p!ssing off a teacher, i chose to look at online courses again.
    Any good recommendations out there? Im not a newbie newbie, but i need something to get/keep me motivated and thats entertaining enough not to fall asleep while the course is going.
    I've seen a bunch on the internet...but i'd be interested in hearing reviews from some actual people that LIKED or DIDN'T like their course they chose(and why).
    I guess in order to keep it "friendly", we dont need any bashing and hurt feelings on certain courses that may not be up to par. I am just looking for direction, i guess, from REAL-WORLD users. I play some rock, i tend to practice more blues patterns though....they seem more entertaining to me.
    Thanks in advance :)

sonofabass likes this.
  2. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    BurnOut, Ikkir, hopwheels and 10 others like this.
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Does he get much into theory/chord structure? I had a kid at church asking me about online resources the other day and mentioned Scott as a possibility. But then the kid asked me about theory specifically and I couldn't answer.

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    +1 on Scotts lessons.

Ikkir and hopwheels like this.
  5. Jayhawk

Jayhawk

Sep 6, 2006
    Kansas City
    Absolutely, there are many lessons and courses that will cover this type of material, including one called "Harmonic Layering - Apreggios, Chord Tones & Scales." Additionally, all of the lessons from Scott's YouTube channel are available with additional support materials not provided through YouTube. It really is a complete resource and community.

6. graphics1988

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    ok thanks guys - i remember seeing his stuff on youtube (he wears a glove)... i will check out his course tonight. Thanks...much appreciated

7. graphics1988

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Looks like the moderators moved this from "general forums".." to General Instructions. I admit, i have NEVER clicked on the General INSTRUCTION link before because i assumed it was about navigating through the website. LOL...i guess i SHOULD have clicked on it for two hindsight reasons. Doooohhhhh...

.....ok, so back to the original question - looking for GOOD online courses (from peeps that have USED them)...thanks again

:)

Chili_Time likes this.
  8. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    talkingbass.net is my favorite.

graphics1988 and mambo4 like this.
  9. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I've leaned more from Scott's Bass Lessons than any other online resource I've tried. To me it was well worth the membership fee.

DanL, Ikkir and graphics1988 like this.
  10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Anything in my sig is also worth a look.

JBoogy, photogdude, jalapejoe and 2 others like this.
  11. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Again, you should also definitely check out Cliff Engel's Institute of Bass, Adam Nitti Music Education, Norm Stockton's Art of Groove, and most certainly Joe Hubbard's bass videos site.

graphics1988 likes this.
  12. Welcome to Scott's Bass Lessons | SBL Academy, Free Online Bass Lessons - Talkingbass.net and Walking Bass Lessons – The Free Source of Walking Bass Lessons are the ones that I have personal experience with and they all are very good at what they do. What it really boils down to is what and how you want to learn. IMHO - Scott's lessons are very precise and to the point. Mark at TalkingBass provides very detailed information regarding his subject matter. And Tomasz at Walking Bass Lessons, as you can tell by the name, is focused on the art of improvised walking bass lines. All three offer free as well as paid lessons and/or courses.

PsyDocHill, GKon and graphics1988 like this.
  13. 808P123

808P123

Mar 25, 2015
    Carol Kaye's material is the best I've seen. If you can just forget everything you have ever heard about music and just do what she says there is a huge payoff.

14. Maple

Maple Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Another vote for SBL here. I like the breadth of his lessons. The site is a bit of a chore to dig through but that's really a result of the amount of content available. I have a local instructor and am in a jazz workshop yet still find lots of value in the online service.

I'm also now using discoverdoublebass but am only at the beginning of exploring their offerings.

Ikkir, geoffbassist and graphics1988 like this.
  15. Strung_Low

Strung_Low Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2012
    San Franciskee
    On youtube i like marlowedk, no treble, coversolutions, sonofabass, Adam Stevens Bass, and Josh Fossgreen. Of this list I like marlowedk and Josh Fossgreen the best. There are more, but these are good ones to start with. Scotts bass lessons is also good, but i find he talks too much for my taste. Good luck, have fun!!

16. graphics1988

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Thanks guys for the input so far. I have spent almost 4 hours sifting thru websites and YouTube vids...apparently there is no shortage of offerings. I will still need to do some research.....
    Carol Kaye is for sure a great choice and I have purchased some DVDs a year or so ago...but the quality of them was from 1982, so it seemed, and each lesson on her video was cut short.... so I'm not sure if I just got a dud DVD or not. She's big into real jazz.....not sure the music style would hold my interests, but maybe I should revisit that.
    I like how SBL explains everything, and he sure can play well, I will have to dig into him a bit more, as he does seem to spend a lot of time discussing every detail.....being a late bloomer I am not sure I need to know every detail of every thing...I just want a course that explains what and why and gets right to it...considering I'm watching the course with my bass strapped to me. Lol.. I will check his stuff out more though...he seems like a good personality on the videos.
    Wow...the list you guys are giving me seems endless...thanks so much....looks like a few nights worth of searching. Thanks again...cheers

GKon likes this.
  17. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
    graphics1988 likes this.
  18. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    This is exactly what I love about Mark's lessons on talkingbass.net
    He has his lessons laid out in order. You click on it, you learn the lesson. You go,to,the next one.

I tried Scott's bass lessons. They are great, but as mentioned by someone else, they were a bit convoluted for my taste and although he's a great player and teacher, I jived more with Mark's lessons.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    graphics1988 likes this.
  19. robinunit

robinunit

Aug 9, 2010
    If I was going to invest in online learning material I'd go for in no particular order: Dominique di Piazza, Hadrien Feraud, John Pattituci, Janek Gwizdala, Bobby Vega. To me all these guys have proven extensive musical experience, deep theoretical knowledge and are able to teach it in an extremely efficient manner.

Bass - LessonWith

2 video courses through mymusicmasterclass.com:

Hadrien Feraud Bass Lesson - Bass Masterclass

Jazz Bass Lessons with John Patitucci | ArtistWorks

Lots of choices to pick from on the internet these days. Maybe a good question to ask would be...If I bought this course where would I hear my playing 5 years from now?

Be well,

Robin

graphics1988 likes this.
  20. graphics1988 likes this.