Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Online guide

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by -Saosin-, Jan 8, 2006.

1. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    Is there a good online guide too playing bass? One that actually teachs how to read music, because I made the mistake of only playing tabs when I got my bass.

2. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
  3. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    A on-line manual (or book) is no subsitute for a live teacher. Although, things have come a long way, you can even take online lessons now. Give http://www.musicdojo.com a try. They have a free class for beginners, so you can get a feel for the service. I've taken a number of their classes, and I highly recommend them. No worries, I'm not on their payroll or anything, I just liked the classes and interaction with top quality instructors.

4. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    That looks like a nice guide but i'm looking for something to teach me standard notation. I know a little sight reading on the piano but i dont know exactly how it translates to a stringed instrument (I know, a piano is technally a stringed instrument...).

5. Buck Naked

Buck Naked

Jul 24, 2005
    Austin Texas
    Man I had a book exactly like this and I lost it. Thank you sooooo much. That helps a ton :bassist:

6. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Hmmmm... is that "reading music" section of "Book Three" not what you're looking for?

7. -Saosin-

-Saosin-

Sep 8, 2005
    Oops! Sorry. I read the introduction and it said it would only use tabs...