Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Only in NY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Dec 24, 2004.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm real tired so I'm just gonna write real quick about this one. We play CBGB tonight. Decide to go get something to eat a couple of blocks away with a few friends afterward. Randy, my guitarist gives one of his 2 guitars to our stand-in drummer (regualer guy has a broken thumb) to carry for him. Randy forgets something at CBGB and tells us he'll meet us at the restaurant. He heads back - we're on our way. The people we were with needed to stop at a bar on the way to the diner for something that's too complicated to explain right now. We stop in the bar for 5 minutes, then head off to eat. We eat. Drummer leaves before us cuz he has to catch a train... jeez... this is gonna be longer than I thought....

We finish. I ask Randy where his other guitar is? It's not in the diner. Randy actually lost an amp like this once after a show. We start to freak. The bar we stopped at! Drummers! He must have left it in the bar. We run back to the bar and there's 4 drunk old men, 2 bartenders, and Randy's guitar hanging on a coat rack. One of the drunks, an irish guy, says - play me a tune and I'll pay ya five hundred bucks. Randy breaks out his guitar and plays a beatle tune. The guy breaks out $500 and hands it to him. Swear to god! He was very drunk, Randy very sober - plus we're nice guys so he argued with him, laughed and said he couldn't take it. They went back and forth for a while and Randy wound up walking out of the bar with $200 cash in his pocket.

Part 2 of this story is how we're fighting now cuz all he (randy) attempted to throw me was $20 - which I gave back. I drive the guy to and from every gig we do - got a parking ticket for $45.00 today... whatever. Can't get into all that now but hey, cool story. At least I think so.

I love my Bongo.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Only in New York. Or so it seems. Rock on Joe! Glad ya got th' Bongo!

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bah! Not only in New York. Here's my story:

I'm hanging outside of a show on Polk St in San Francisco - Polk St is the place where you go to get your crack and transvestite hookers. I'm minding my own business, when a man with a CD player and headphones walks up to me unnanounced and says "If you can name the song, the album, the artist, and the year it was written I'll give you $100", then hands me the headphones. I put them on, and lo and behold, it's David Bowie's Heroes, from the album of the same name, released in 1977! Not only do I tell him all his requirements, I also tell him Robert Fripp played guitar on it, and who produced it, and where it was recorded, and what the song is about! (big Bowie fan here) I refuse the $100, though - the guy was obviously high on something and I don't think he would have offered $100 if he weren't. He was an extremely well dressed 30-something-ish gay man, and he ended up coming in to the show, which drew some interesting looks, since this was an extremely avant guarde noise show at one of the biggest dives I've found in this city. Heck, the band that played before we met this guy pretty much did nothing but scream and run around the place naked. He walks in, sees two guys on stage making the most grating, noisy, unmusical sounds in the world - both wearing HUGE flamingo shaped masks/hats that were at least 4 feet tall - and he proceeds to make his way up to the front to dance. He's the only guy dancing in the whole place. What a hoot!

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I want to go to one of those shows.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Bring it on. We have them all the time here. I'm even resurrecting Burnt Infant™, my solo bass soundscapes project, just to get into that scene. No big hats for me though.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Proud to be a New Yorker :hyper:

7. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

Providence has them all the time, so does NY. It's a matter of finding the right dive.

Also, there's going to be a Providence Declares War concert at the Knitting Factory; The White Mice, Chinese Stars, The Eyesores and a number of other Providence bands are going to be playing. It will be a truly marvelous show.

Come check it out, it's going to be on Feburary 5th.

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The venue where I occasionally do sound has "Alternative nights" where we get 3 of these acts in one night. They're tough to mix because you I never know which noises should be louder then the other noises. And I'm never really sure how to EQ the Luggage bag being struck with a rubber chicken?

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Chickens are best flat, but the luggage bag needs some scooping.

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I saw the ButtHole Surfers once. I wouldn't have gone but I was stood up for a date with a "babe" circus girl.

So I go to this show...imagine if you will both guitars with phasers, flangers, and choruses, cranked full with full distortion. Grinding phaser bass distorted as well, accompanied by sloppy drums. Barely any rythym, or melody to speak of...A lumpy pea soup of sonic collisions interrupted only by occasional breaks.
    The background screen played surgical videos(where they got these?) of male *parts* being worked on. (BIG TIME HEEBIE GEEBIES!)

One of the best shows I ever saw.

11. would that be the Red Devil Lounge??