1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Oooooooh I learned a new trick today!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Joe Gress, May 5, 2010.

1. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    So today while playing with my Jazz bass and my favorite fuzz pedals I noticed something pretty spiffy. Turn down the volume of my bass and the character of the fuzz changes drastically. With my Pickle Pie it became a much smoother and dynamic fuzz. More like a creamy overdrive at max. With my B:assmaster it became a sputter fest, and with the right amount of control playing dynamics from me, and the right amount of volume adjustment on my bass, I got a sound like this.

Great fun stuff, thought I would share.

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i get that on the mastotron too. i'm trying to set it up through one of the channels on my switchblade so that a pedal tied into one of the expression inputs on the switchblade will control both the input level into the mastotron and the output level from it, so i can drive it harder or ease up on it without changing the volume too much.

3. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yeah a mastotron I bet would be a lot of fun to mess with the levels.

What other pedals respond well to backing off the volume knob?

4. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Not trying to knock you, but guitarists have been playing around with this for quite a while through their gain pedals. That's where you generally see the "cleans up very well" comment about certain pedals. :bag:

That being said... I'd think that this should work well with just about any gain pedal or touch sensitive pedal such as an envelope filter.

Also, I'm totally going to try that out with my B:Assmaster as I honestly never thought to do that. :p

5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Fuzz Face type pedals are great for doing this, but depending on the fuzz it can be hit or miss. I do believe the term is known as "clean up" and guitarists have been doing it for decades. I just learned about it recently myself, been trying to incorporate better dynamics into my playing over the last few years and this is just one more method.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I did a clean up clip recently of a Ghost Fuzz modified for bass. In A Nadfuzz Way is what I so clevArly titled it.

6. If effects experimentation has done anything for me, it has made me value the volume knob on my bass. Gain pedals turn it into such a usable "tone" control.

7. JES

JES Supporting Member

I've been having fun with volume knobs and self oscillation on my mf low pass filter and lal super oscillo fuzz. Everything from moaning dubsteppy bass drops to howls.

8. 1009

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago
    Related but few more steps:

I run my Geddy Lee J through an OCD, 105Q, and a VT Bass (as always-on preamp). If I back off the neck pickup a bit while the OCD is on & then engage the wah a bit I can get some crazy pitched theremin-style feedback. Not sure if this is a peculiarity of my rig, but every time I've tried it since it works like a charm.

9. I've been doing something similar, but boosting/cutting the active lows on my Schecter thru my TS9. I've found out it loves when I set the bass flat. since my bass hasn't one volume knob, but one for each pickup, I'll have to manage something. Say, would a volume pedal before the OD work the same way? Hmm...

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I've been using a compressor set to a clean boost (with a little comp) to push my dirt pedals. It's especially nice with my BYOC Armstrong Twin.

Heh, maybe it's actually worth it to buy an EHX Signal Pad.

11. The magic of the volume knob. Love it!

Devi Ever fuzz pedals react to that in a very yummy way, I think most others will as well.