1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinion on volume difference and what to do about it

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by marcray, Jun 9, 2014.

1. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    Hi, I have some big gigs coming up in the autumn and I haven't played out for a long time, probably 10 years or more. They are fly in fly out gigs, 2 basses, one bag of tricks. So I think I have to take my old Precision, and I'm thinking my new Jaguar which is my current favourite. The only problem is that the Precision has less output than the Jaguar. Not a big deal, but thinking about a box to remedy it. MXR micro amp (simple, cheap), MXR DI (with the little added colour and distortion basically set to zero), SansAmp Programmable DI (a little more flexibility etc). All fairly cheap and effective. I'm thinking the SansAmp, simply because it fixes this problem, and gives me a little toy that I can use in the future, or am I over thinking it?

2. Deluxe sansamp models have dual inputs and most soundguys jump at taking the DI, specially when you tell them the outputs are levelled.

3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Yeah, +1 on the Sans Amp. +1 on the engineers reaction too. Haven't seen a DI box since I got my SA...

4. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Another possibility is Radial's Bassbone. Depending on how late in autumn your gigs are, the timing might let you consider Radial's Bassbone OD, a two channel pre-amp/DI with overdrive.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I think you're on the right track. With two different basses, it's always nice to have something to match volumes and EQ more similarly.