1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions on FGN basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BobDeRosa, Nov 12, 2018.

1. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I'm really intrigued by the double-reverse P's on their "Mighty Power Bass." Does anyone have any first-hand experience to share? Thanks.

2. Bigpig

Bigpig Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    Can't speak to the specific bass you mentioned here. That said, I'm a huge Fujigen fan - I think they're one of the most underrated makers out there.

I own two - an EMJ Mighty Jazz, which I've had for about two years and a J-Standard DE which I just got last month. Technically I have three, since I've working to sell a CoolZ J-bass, which is a FGN build. Nothing wrong with it - just need to free up the cash to cover the cost of the J-Standard.

Superb build quality, materials, fit & finish and sound. The one critique they get (somewhat justified) is that their pickups could be a bit hotter. True enough for the EMJ (passive) which is why I got the DE, which is passive/active.

I know they have an American distributor out in California, but in-store they're a bit thin on the ground here. Plenty on EBay and Reverb, both here and in Japan, but you kind of have to scratch to find a retailer who carries them.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  3. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks very much, Bigpig.

4. Bigpig

Bigpig Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2015
    You might also want to get in touch with Quadzilla - he just got the same J-Standard I did, though a bit earlier, and seems quite happy with it. Have a great weekend!

BobDeRosa likes this.
  5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Bought one as a backup for my other, far more expensive basses and it's become my number 1. Just insanely great for the money!!!!

BobDeRosa likes this.
  6. BobDeRosa

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Thanks again.

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I'm having a major GAS attack toward this double p reversed bass. I has its own look, seems well built anf sounds awesome on the video.
    I really love the tone of the bridge pickup soloed in the video. It has that p vibe but with much more midrange, almost like a Stingray but with less gain.
    And really like the Antique White version. I feel that the big black pickguard on white fits better the design than the white on sunburst.

Ian McLaughlin and BobDeRosa like this.