Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Opinions on Lessard

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Apr 18, 2004.

1. What are your opinions here on Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band...) I personally think he has come a long way since the conception of that band, and his basslines are damn groovy. Point in case: Ants Marching, You Never Know, Grey Street. What does everyone else think of him?

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think he's a great bassist with awsome groovability.

Peace
    Nick

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I don't have any DMB albums, but the concert dvd that I own shows very good playing from every member of the band. After watching the dvd I came to the conclusion that he probably has incredible chops that he puts aside in favor of tasteful playing

4. Abark I tend to agree, people seem to jump the gun on him all too often in regards to his skill.

5. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    I'd like to hear lessard's opinion of opinions.

In other news - he's good - solid groover - adds to the music in a way that doesn't say HEY LOOK AT ME - THE BASS PLAYER!!

I was bored when I saw DMB live though. Not my bag baby - especially the Ballard album material - yuck! Grey Street is a great song - a return to early DMB vibe but overall - I'm spent on DMB.

6. I like what he does, good groove an melodic.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Totally enjoy every minute of his playing w/ DMB on the Central Park Concert DVD. The intro to "All Along The Watchtower" was awesome and his rendition of the Star Spangled Banner was unique and refreshing.

8. Heavy_E

Heavy_E

Jul 2, 2002
    Alabama
    He is absolutely one of my inspirations for playing bass.

All of DMB are GREAT musicians. I think because of there high skill level they know how each instrument works together. They get total synergy. I like that vibe.

One thing that I have noticed with DMB... the whole show they are giving 100% all the time. They have a passion for the music and the fans.

As far a Stefan... just remember in the early days he was still a teenager (even though a prodigy). Time, experience, and skill level go hand in hand.

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I think he is a very tasteful player! he knows how to play for the song......and with a monster like Carter Beauford, it's better to play a little less to keep from losing the groove. I think they are a perfect rhythm section for that band.