1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Opinions on T-bird and SX basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Robertjoel, Jan 10, 2012.

1. I recently bought a used Epiphone T-bird. I got a good deal for $190 with a gig-bag(hard to find one to fit a t-bird) and new strings just put on. I played it in stores and did research for months before finally buying the bass, I loved it in stores, loved the body, neck is great, pups are ok. After playing it a lot at home and familiarizing myself with it a bit more, I've began to hate the body and the so-so tones I can get out of it.
    I played virtually every Squier and similarly priced bass I could find before deciding on the T-bird, and though I did a few of the VM Squiers a bit better, the T-bird was easier to find pre-owned.
    I've done a lot of research on SX basses but never having played one, I'm unsure of them. Watched videos on youtube where they can replicate a MIA Fender Jazz, and while doing my daily craigslist scanning, I came across an SX jazz with the old style headstock and a great color/look. Emailed the guy and he said he's let it go for $80.

So, my question is, are SX basses good basses? They seem to beat, or at least stack up to squiers in every department. I'm strongly considering selling the T-bird for ~200 and buying the $80 SX and then using the leftover to do any mods the bass might need-new bridge, pots, pre-amp, etc...

Just want some opinions, or any other options.

2. mooreon131

mooreon131

Mar 16, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds like a good plan, man. I'd do it, and use the cash for new pots, caps, jack and shielding. Then I'd probably buy the duncan designed pickups that they use in the squier vintage modifieds on ebay for like 25 bucks, and then throw those in. I love those pickups though, maybe try GFS or other buget brands, or hell, if you like the p'ups keep em. If you did all the mods I'd suggested, and do them yourself,you could still pocket $50-75. Not bad if I say so myself.

3. ejaggers

ejaggers

Aug 18, 2009
    Hurst, tx
    Hmmmm... I had the complete opposite reaction. I traded for a Tbird and really didn’t like it much a first because the neck felt weird. I put some fender 7150 rounds on it, and the tone came alive, but I still didn’t like the feel. I have 5 basses so it took awhile to get around to, but I put it next to my bed and grabbed it while watching TV or just being lazy. Now it’s a beautiful feeling bass, it just took awhile to get use to.

I hope you realize that the Tbird and SX/Squier are to different animals and comparing them to each other is horses and apples. A better comparison would be SX against Squier.

4. I just think the J-bass would be a better fit for my style/sound. The thunderbird does sound great, but in its own department(rock) doesn't fit too well in what i'm trying to do currently. Quality-wise, SX would be about on-par with the t-bird after some mods, yeah?

5. If the guy already did or paid for a setup, the SX is probably worth it. Figure they cost $120 + shipping from Rondo - with an iffy setup.

You're talking two very different basses. Keep the TB and get the Jazz. That covers a lot of sonic ground.

6. Limited budget, I'm in highschool, or I would definitely go for both. But I'm really not digging the t-bird enough to really want to keep it.

7. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Or you could do a few mods to the T-bird, and end up with an even better bass. This started out as a regular $200 Epiphone, but now is right on par with an upper mid priced Fender or Ibanez. Some of the big improvements were the Hipshot Ultralite tuners, and the new bone nut. I also had the fretboard edges rounded a bit to improve the feel. The bridge pup is a Mike Lull - but if I was to mod it today I would go with Thunderbuckers since they are about half the price of Lulls, and do give you three options for output and tone to choose from (1963, 1966, and '66 MAX).

LULL-700-angle-PUPS032.

LULLPUPS039.

LULLPUPS035.

8. But the t-bird tone doesn't fit me too well, and the body feel is more of what's bothering me, the neck is great. Even resting my thumb on the p'up doesn't feel right when compared to my washburn with sub-par soapbar p'ups...I think I'll put up an ad to sell the T-bird and buy the SX, or maybe even trade the bird for a VM Squier Jazz(though, I doubt anyone would agree to that trade).

9. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland
    A T-Bird is a T-bird. They're not terribly ergonomic, they've got annoying bridges, and they've got 2 humbuckers. They have a unique sound that is worthy in its own right, but comes with design idiosyncrasies. If you're not loving it, and don't need that sound, you should sell it.

I just got an SX 5 string Jazz, sent to my door for $155. It was reasonably set up out of the box and is playing comfortably after a string change and a half-assed setup. It sounds better than any comperable Squier or MIM J I have tried, and sang at my last practice. It does not sound like a T-bird.

If you don't mind the headstock or the smoked-gouda-cheese neck finish, you will be pleased!

10. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    It sounds like the OP is fairly young and may not have been playing for long. If so, I'd offer this advice.

There are myriad things you can do to make the instrument sound to your liking, but if it doesn't feel right, you aren't going to want to play it. I'm not necessarily saying get the SX, but if you don't like the way the T-Bird feels, you should get something else.

11. Well, what are some other options in the ~$200 price range? I'll have a bit more income soon so I'll be able to look at some other options.

12. Legattabass

Legattabass

Oct 21, 2010
    Maryland