opinions please...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jun 21, 2004.

1. OK, so i have been bandwhoring for about 2 months with a local popular rock act while they are looking for new bass player. i already have a solid gig, but my schedule recently opened up (no more psycho ex-girlfriend) and i made it clear to them that i would really like to have the job, as it doesn't affect my other band. Originally i was told by them that they "didn't want to disrupt my current gig" and that we were all friends so they "didn't want to step on anyone's toes". so anyway here's the dilemmas

1. isn't it my choice whether or not i want to disrupt my current situation to play with them if they offer me the gig?

also i've been told by numerous fans, club owners, freinds etc.. that i make their band about 10 times better and there is finally "energy on stage", and "room filling sound", and that it sounds like a "real band". if just about every one they come in contact with tells them i make them sound and look better, then maybe i should be considered for the job, correct? so here's the next dilemma

2. I have been told through a source that i'm "just not what they are looking for." OK so they let me change some tunes, they like my ideas, helped their stage show, and we get along great, but that's not what they are looking for?

3. I have also been told that i'm "too much" for them. the lead singer is a pretty boy and i was told that he feels i take the show away from HIM (i'm not a soloist, i'm an entertainer). as if he's god and all that is on the stage must observe his righteous space and not cross "that line". yet i'm still filling in for them and i am will be playing with them through july or so. (yes, i am getting paid)

should i be pissed or just chalk this up as an experience? I enjoy the music, but i think these guys may be a little too high maintenance... any opinions?
  2. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    the guy who is mentoring me at bass once told me that a player who isn't a showoff (in playing or in actions) will always be employed. Take that however you want.

Also, for the other part, it has always been my experience that "sources" are usually wrong. My advice is to go talk to the guys , and be as open and honest with them as possible, and see what happens. If it seems like you can't trust them, then don't stick with them.

Hope that helps...
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Lotsa thoughts on this one. I had an almost identical experience, except I didn't know until they told me they were replacing me. And it was a done deal - there was no changing their minds. My (quick story) is that this was a band I had idolized for years. When I got into it, I got the same reviews you did - I added "balls" to their sound, I gave them even more life than they already had... basically, I helped them to rock a bit more. Bottom line was that was NOT what they wanted. They wanted an artsy faggy trendy laid back less rock and roll guy than myself. So what did I learn.... not really sure. It hurt lots because I loved the band, but I just wasn't what they wanted. Had I known before hand that they weren't pleased (they never let on at all) I might have spoken with them and tried to give them more of what they were looking for. The interesting news is that they never did wind up replacing me :smug: and broke up shortly after. I grew a lot (as a musician) from the gig, and wound up in much happier situations. I believe there was no point to this story.

From my understanding of your story, it sounds a wee bit like your ego may be getting in your way. If they want someone to be laid back, then that's what they have every right to have. If they believe you're taking attention away from where they want it - then that's simply the way it is. If you really want to keep playing with them, I'd suggest learning to humble yourself and give to them what it is they're looking for. If you can't, then I don't believe you have any business playing with them. Ultimately you'd all probably wind up unhappy. If you want to rock out find a band you can rock out with. I'd talk to them, tell them what you heard, ask if it's true, and then tell them I'd like to work at giving them what they're looking for - IF I really wanted the gig. If not I don't believe there's much else to do then accept what's what, play till they find what they're looking for and know that you belong somewhere else.
  4. thanks for the responses.. and Joe Nerve... you were spot on about the artsy trendy crap... they weren't into a rocker.. they wanted someone more laid back who would make the singer look better... anyway it's not that much of a loss.. i just was kinda ticked at the moment. looking back at my original post i can see where you guys thought it was more of an ego thing for me, but it really wasn't. they gave me the impression i was adding to what they had going. i've been kicked in the nards by a few bands and after i saw what was happening i got a little bitter. i noticed after the show last friday that the dude they found had been showing up to the last few shows. i thought he was just a buddy. after talking to the kid he told me they asked him to come down and "see what i was doing" as far as the music, energy, presence, etc... but they wanted him to be "more mellow".. so yeah they didn't want Robert Trujillo, they wanted a Jeff Abercrombie.....
  5. Yo G -

If the band you're talking about starts with a '3' and ends with '1' with something like 'against' in between, then I have MANY thoughts about that band. If you want to chat outside this thread, hit me with a PM.

BTW If we are thinking about the same band...if you had a pulse you'd have more stage presence than the last guy.

Oh, and I think if you'd have showed up with a fake tan, a tight wife beater, a beaded necklace, and a Schecter, you would have got the gig without playing a note. But that's just my opinion.

Also, if you're still filling in for them, we're playing on Sunday with you at Victor's.
  6. nope, got the proverbial Axe.... and $30... woo hoo.. that's really gonna get me a whole set of strings.. :spit:

it's kinda funny that you figured that one out! i didn't want to be blatant about it, but you nailed it.. PM coming too...