1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Opinions Wanted on 2-12 Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Ampig, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I'm currently using an Avatar 4-10 cab which sounds surprisingly good with the URB, but many of our venues have tight cramped stages and I'm thinking of going to something smaller. Maybe a 2-12 cab or even a 2-10. What are your experiences with these cab configurations and what woud you recommend? My amp is an Eden WT-400. I play jazzgrass-americana style music. I've only been playing URB for about 5 years and I'm still learning the ropes of how to get a good amplified live sound.
    Note: I'm not rolling in a cash.

2. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I don't play upright, but I love my Schroeder 1212L for my Fenders. Small, light and yet powerful (800 watts, 1000 watts for the non neo 1212R version). They are voiced with a distinct low midrange hump that helps the bass sit really well in the mix FOH and also gives great on stage monitoring if you need it. I use mine with a Markbass head.

3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Ampig,
    I think I'd go with the 2x10 rather than the 2x12. For most DB players an increase the diameter of the speaker cones will get you more bass and more trouble with lo frequency feedback because of the added bass response and dispersion of the bigger speakers. To my ears smaller speakers recover between low notes faster, thus my VL 208 sounded much better than the VL 210 did.

Ric

4. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    If the physical size is a big concern on cramped stages, most conventional 2x12s use the same size box as their 4x10 cousins. A 2x10 set up vertically would cut a few inches off the footprint, even more a 1x12.

I've settled on an Aguilar 1x12 for upright. It's one of the bigger, beefier 1x12s and it gets me up to the threshold of feedback volume & still sounds great. Naturally the 2x12 does sound bigger but it feeds back sooner, so I'd only use that if there's a big stage where I can stand farther away.

For the genres and rooms I play, if that 1x12 can't keep up, it's probably time to bust out the pork chop.

5. uprightbass.com

uprightbass.com

Jul 28, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Is not compensated for endorsements. Does not sell for profit.
    I've used at various points in the past: 1x15, 2x12, 1x12. I wouldn't do anything but 10" speaker(s) since they give a more accurate reproduction on the stage.

I did a writeup on the subject. It's not the law so I'm sure there are people out there who have valid disagreements, but my experiences have shown this observation to be consistent.

http://uprightbass.com/2009/08/03/turn-my-amp-down-i-can-barely-hear-myself/

6. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    I like single 12 cabinets. I can use just one or two depending upon the need. I tried many speaker cabinets and configurations before settling on the sound I prefer. You need to hear the sound you want in your head, and then find what will help you to reproduce it. It is a matter of personal taste, just like strings.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    I've used many different configurations, especially during tours and I find it possible to get good, usable sounds out of almost anything. One of the nicest rigs I had on a European road trip was a Hughes and Kettner 2-12. But for the most part, give me a single speaker cab or two, if I have to be my own roadie. I think a single 12 is a good way to go for size and versatility on most double bass gigs. Double up if you need to.

8. Ampig

Ampig Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more but I lack the funds to be buying a bunch of cabinets to test out , also there's not a lot of selection in my area for instore test drives.

I have an EA 1-12 but it's 4 ohms so it's not of much use for doubling up. I guess a 2-10 is my only option now to make things smaller.

1) How much more push will I get out of a 2-10 than a 1-12.
    2) Any big 2-10 proponents out there?