Options for pickups converting 4 string to 5 string using the same cavities?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JohnArnson, Jun 6, 2019.

1. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    I ponder on turning my 4 string Ibanez Mikro bass into a 5 string with tight 15,2 mm (0.59") string spacing tuned E-A-D-G-C, so I need something like a 4 string P/J pickup set utilizing blades to cover all the strings.

What are my options and what will get me closest to the EMG Geezer Butler set I have installed now?

Reason I just don't buy a 5 string Mikro is partly that I want the tighter string spacing and more narrow fretboard, partly that I really like the P/J pickups configuration.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I would see how your current pickups perform before buying something new. The five strings won’t line up nicely over the pole pieces, but they will probably sound just fine.

rojo412 and JohnArnson like this.
  3. JohnArnson

JohnArnson

May 28, 2019
    Thank you for your answer.

I did ponder if this could be the case, I mean the poles doesn't even line up as it is now, and it still sounds great.

Now I just wonder if I should really just buy a 5 string Mikro, live with the double J pickups and the wider string space and broader fretboard, since I worry that 5 strings might be get a bit cramped on the first couple of frets with a just 38 mm (1.5") nut and using 105 gauge strings, which I need to get proper tension on the short scale?

Guess this would be a question for a different forum really, and I guess a bit individually too, but like to know if anyone has experience with 5 string basses having such a narrow nut?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    @Ric5 might have some insight…

JohnArnson likes this.
  5. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
    16-basses.jpg

JohnArnson and Slater like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021