1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Orange, Ampeg Heads & SWR Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ginsly, Nov 1, 2010.

1. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    I realize that SWR cabs are better for cleaner tones, but I've been using two 4x10 Workingman's 4004 cabs with my Orange Bass Terror. I'm getting a decent tone, but am I a moron for not getting different cabs? I like the balance between the dirt of the Orange and the punch of the SWRs, but I feel it gets a bit farty sometimes. I'm also checking out an Ampeg V4 tomorrow - should that go well with my SWR cabs? I really need some input, guys - thanks!! Everybody here has been a lifesaver in the past.

2. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Also, if anyone has recommendations on what kind of cabs go well with the Orange Bass Terror I'd love to hear them. I would love to have Orange cabs, but it seems like they're a bit out of my price range. Thanks!

3. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    If it sounds good matey, then it is good.

Thats how this stuff works. ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    better for cleaner tones? first i ever heard that. swr amps are generally pretty clean, but the cabs just put out what you put into it.

5. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    If you go used, you can get some good deals on the Orange cabs.

That said, their 15" (which I use and love and highly recommend) is, IIRC, a variation on the TL606 cab, and I'm sure they're not they only company doing one like that.

6. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Ive found that an any healthy dose of volume Oranges especially, and some Ampegs really need 15's to not fart out the cab.. 10's just dont seem to handle the lowest lows that thump out of an Orange... I use mine with a fender 215 and its stellar!
    V4s seem to go great with 10s!.. My V4B goes thru a fender 610 or 2 ampeg 410s and just roars!

7. Ginsly

Ginsly

Apr 1, 2010
    Awesome, thanks for the advice! I have a "frankenstein" 15 that I'm gonna try with one of my 4x10s, but I'll keep my eyes peeled for a used Orange cab. I've used my 15 and an SWR 4x10 with my old SWR head, but it farted out pretty easily. Is it generally a bad idea to mix a 15 with a 4x10?

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    yep, part for the fart reason, part because a 115 is half as loud as a 410, and part because of possible phasing issues.

9. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    I love the way my all tube SVT-II pro sounds through my SWR 6x10! The punch of the SWR cabinet with the sludge of the overdriven power tubes make for a killer, heavy tone...at least to my ears. If it sounds good, don't worry about it!

10. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Jimmy, could you explain this a bit further? Wouldn't the 15 just put out the same amount of volume/wattage that's going into it?

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    nope. this is an oversimplification because there are speaker building techniques that also contribute, but with most bass speakers, the more cone mass you have, the louder the same wattage will be. a 15" has approx half the cone area of a 410, so the 410 will be much louder. not twice as loud, but considerably louder. plus they generally don't handle as much wattage as a 410.

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    How can phasing cause farting? I'm not following that reasoning at all.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    freddels, those are 3 separate reasons why i don't think it's a good idea to mix a 410 and 115. the phasing is unrelated to the farting.

14. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    This has got to be a new signature!!! ;)

15. Not quite an Orange/Ampeg>Swr sound, but I love the way my Traynor YBA200 sounds thru my Warwick 411Pro cab. Of course, it sounds great thru my 810E too.

16. jybarry

jybarry

Jan 29, 2010

I think the quality of the speaker and the tuning of the enclosure makes more of a difference than the size. I play with Carvin BRX10.2NEO (2x10") cabs and they are tight and punchy and push out my low-B with authority and massive volume with absolutely zero fartiness. I've played through plenty of 15" cabs that fart with much less power and never deliver the low-B well.