Orange Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murph_Orpheus, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hey guys. Been looking at Orange cabs lately, particularly the obc 410 model. May add the 115 later down the line but the 410 is the one I have my eye on. Unfortunately I don't live near any local dealers to try one out so does anyone have any experience with it? Would it be good for low tuned metal type stuff?

2. not tried the 410, but the 115 is hands down one of the worst cabs i've ever had to use.

3. Couldnt disagree more....the Orange cabs are very underrated.

Even Tom Bowlus gave the OBC115 a damn good review.

Not a lot of people own this setup, its heavy gear, but if you want a nice vintage warm sound with punch, the 4x10 will do it and handle great high volume with ease.

Lots of hardcore/metal/punk bands switching from Ampeg to Orange now.

4. I'm looking to get nice lows into the mix too, anyone know the frequency response on the orange cabs? Can't seem to find much info on it.

5. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    You wont find ANY info on the frequency response or sensitivity unless you've found one who has done the tests themselves.

Orange just flat out hasn't tested for those specs. Strange, I know but that's the way it is.

6. I dont know the freq, but the 15 is smooth and fat, and pretty damn articulate for a 15. Think Jeff Berlin Mark Bass combo 15 sound, BUT with that ceramic thump. The port design works really well in terms of sound with the OBC115.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    What!? Please explain your experience...

I upgraded from my custom 15" to an Orange 15" (actually both cabs have the same Eminence speaker) and the Orange just SLAMS.

Haven't had experience with the 4x10 either, but I imagine it's awesome. No one here has every had anything bad to say about Orange cabs. I'm really surprised by this response from Mammoth...

8. Jazzman

Jazzman

Nov 26, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I disagree (at least for my tastes). I found that the OBC115 was the best sounding cabinet I have ever used. I have had mine for a couple years now and am still in love with them. Once I got these my NV610 didn't get used once.

9. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Tru, dat! :D

The 1x15 shootout (note, this is getting a bit dated).

10. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    I gig with the 410. It's really heavy so if weight is an issue I wouldn't recommend it. Other then that. It's a really great cab to play through, I've never heard anything that sounds so good. I can't tell you so much for low tuned metal stuff as I am in a country rock band. It does handle low end really well. I use a 76 svt with it. I've played GK SWR and Ampeg Cabs.(i work at a backline company so I'm spoiled on testing gear...) I would recommend this cab to anybody. I've sold a few to customers on the retail side of the shop i work for from my suggestions and all my customers come back and tell me how much they love it.

If you have any specific questions i'd be glad to try and help.

11. Cheers ryanrex! Do you happen to know the frequency response of the cab?

12. ryanrex

ryanrex

May 26, 2008
    No, and I called my outside orange rep about it. and his response was "Do you like how it sounds" and I said "yes". He continued with "then why does it matter what frequencies it runs if its so kick ass"

I don't think orange tests them.

Plus it just looks cool on stage... isnt that enough reason to buy it haha.

13. Well I guess my only other concern is if it would give a good low end boom out of it, seeing as I have my bass tuned so low in certain situations

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021