1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

orange terror bass 500 settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bamofo88, Jun 24, 2014.

1. bamofo88

bamofo88

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I just picked up a orange terror bass 500 and I really like it I just would like to get an idea what setting others are useing as I'm haveing some trouble getting a good tone from my d string when playing in drop d when in standard it sounds great but when I tune down not so much right now my settings are treble 11 o clock mid noon and bass a little past 9 o clock gain at noon...I did search and didn't find anything about settings people were useing.

2. jav

jav

Nov 9, 2013
    Bass- 12 oclock, Mid 10 oclock, Tre 3 oclock ... standard tuning, rounds...these settings sound good for a Jbass or Ric... these amps are already pretty dark sounding. with flats I change the EQ up a bit... cant remember those settings exactly right now

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Mids max, bass and treble right down is roughly flat. In spite of how they are labelled the mid is cut only and the bass and treble are boost only.

sloppy_phil and CL400Peavey like this.
  4. bamofo88

bamofo88

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Yea jav these settings sound pretty good with my warwick corvette

5. This.

6. bassmachine2112

bassmachine2112

Mar 23, 2008
    Does anybody know what settings are for flat eq ?

7. this.

8. jav

jav

Nov 9, 2013
    What cab are you using?

9. bamofo88

bamofo88

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I'm using a Peavy headliner 2x10 at home but I use a swr Henry the 8th 8x8 at practice

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Check the bass strings/setup/tension. Shouldn't be that much difference in one wholestep when it comes to amp settings or even speaker performance, but a loose/floppy string will change everything.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    How it anchors at the bridge and nut when tuned looser like that too.

12. jav

jav

Nov 9, 2013
    I know that the bt doesnt sound good with all cabs...i tried a few different cabs...but stuck with an obc 115..the swr would be better. i think some gk cabs sound good with it too

13. I found swapping tubes gave a good resultin this amp. I can't remember what tubes I put IN. I think a JJ long plate in V2 & a Tung Sol ax7 in v1... But that coulda been my Walkabout. :woot::woot::hyper:

14. bamofo88

bamofo88

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    I've been reading alot of people have switch out the tubes and get good results maybe down the line I'll do it

15. jav

jav

Nov 9, 2013
    The stock Chinese tubes are actually not bad imo. I put in some jjs ecc83s to get a warmer, slightly more vintage tone. the stock tubes were a little brighter...havnt tried the tung sol russian tubes yet.

16. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have a BT500, too.

I didn't find that tube swapping changed the sound all that much.

Even at extreme settings, it's hard to get a bad unusable sound from a tone stack EQ setup like the Orange has. I have at times had treble and mids off and bass at about 3pm, and it still was usable. It's not like a modern EQ setup where if you roll off all of the bass you get nasal horror, it's still pretty fat and warm. Fiddle those knobs.

karl_em_all likes this.
  17. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    I find that this amp really reacts to the tone and volume settings on your bass.

18. bamofo88

bamofo88

Jul 1, 2012
    Buffalo NY
    Played my first full practice with the head but also made my first big mistake I ran on 8 ohms in my 4 ohm cab totally forgot about the switch now my question is did I do any damage to the speakers or head by running it that way?

19. karl_em_all

karl_em_all

Jul 11, 2013
    Dimension X
    Did that once myself a few months back. I think it's worse on the amp than the speakers. No damage to mine luckily.

20. jav

jav

Nov 9, 2013
    with flats I like the eq 11 oclock treb.. 2 oclock mids and 11 oclock bass...I think the BT can get close to those vintage bass tones (London, Paris recordings) of the early 60's.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014