Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Orchestral String Opinions

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by anthem274, Feb 20, 2005.

1. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    I visited with my teacher and he recommended that I get new strings. I have Thomastik Flexocors on my bass as of now and I am nothing but an orchestral player. Flexocores are a 100% jazz string. It has good response to the bow, but they are very rough with the arco. I get alot of other responses that I do not want. My teacher recommends that I get Pirastro Permanent strings. He uses them on his bass that is very similiar to mine (year made, location, shape, style). He said that they would be ideal for the warmth, darkness, and the overall feel and playability of the bass. Please give me other reccomendations if you have them. Just remember that I'm looking for an easily playable, warm, arco string.

Thanks

2. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I think you mean Superflexibles.

3. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Hard to tell, since they have "good response to the bow, but are very rough with the arco". :eyebrow:

4. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Did you try his bass?
    This would give you an idea if you like them!
    IMO, the Permanent is a nice hybrid string if you want to play arco and jazz pizz, but for arco only, I'd look at Pirastro Flexocors instead. (so called Flexocor '92s)

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    :D

6. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    WOW. I'm sorry about my errors. I haven't had much sleep lately. The current strings have a good PIZZ response, and the arco has good response as well, but I get too many rough, scratchy, unwanted sounds. I did try the strings on my teachers bass and I really do like them.

Sorry for the typos.

7. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    Yes, I have SUPERFLEXIBLES on it right now. woops again.

8. Pete G

Pete G

Dec 31, 2001
    Northern Virginia
    I had been using Flexocor G and D for years (most recently with Helicore Orchestra E and A), but I recently switched to a full set of Pirastro Permanents. I like the Flexocors, but I'm beginning to think the Permanents have a better sound -- even playing arco exclusively.

I suspect a lot depends on your bass.

9. Anthem -- I recently tried Superflexibles but took them off after about a month. They were horribly scratchy under the bow, by far the scratchiest strings I've yet tried. I replaced them with a set of Corelli 370 Forte's, and these are much easier to bow. They have a very clear, strong sound and don't have that scratchiness. I think there are a number of threads that you could search on for string types, including all the ones mentioned so far (Permanents, Corellis, etc.)

10. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Jargars. I had the Dolces at orchestra pitch. Warm, dark and especially desgned for arco

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

So - what's the point of asking here..? :confused:

Why not just buy those?