1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

order my pedals please

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    what order should i put these pedals in?

dunlop crybaby bass wah
    ibanez flanger
    fender tuner
    russian big muff pi

thanks.

2. bass --> tuner --> muff --> flanger --> wah.

3. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    About the tuner, you can either put it first or last (or in between of course, but it makes more sense this way). There was a thread about it recently (I voted first). About the rest... well, it's 3 pedals. You only have like six choices. Best thing is to try them out and see what works for you! If YOU get a sound you like, it doesn't matter if everyone else says the opposite order.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The only answers that are ever going to come out of this question are (1) put them in whatever order sounds best to you and/or (2) the order that members here would or do put those pedals.

In your case it's complicated by the fact that those pedals could be placed in just about any order without problem. Almost every pedalboard with an octave pedal will have that pedal first or close to it and almost every delay or reverb is at the end of a chain.

But you have a lot of options. Here are my very general thoughts.

Most people put a tuner first or last in the chain. I like mine last so I can mute any noisy pedals, but I would guess more people have it first in their chain.

I would put your flanger after the wah and fuzz, which could go in either order depending on the sound you like. I actually liked having my wah after my distortion, but I would guess that more people have them switched.

The bottom line is that you need to play around and see what you like.

5. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    what does the order of your pedals actually effect. like if the wah is before the distortion and theyre both on then the wah will wah the distortion but it wont if the distortion is before the wah.

6. hansfranz

hansfranz

Jul 22, 2005
    Rocklin, CA
    I've found (along with most other forum members) that the wah sound is more pronounced if the dunlop is placed after distortion/fuzz boxes. Other wahs may be different, but the dulop bass wah sounds really muddy and it's hard to even hear the effect doing anything if it's before your drive pedal(s).

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Oh, it affects lots of things!

Wah => Fuzz is a common setup, although I think it's more popular on guitar. It shapes the clean signal and feeds that to the distortion for the classic rock solo. As you crank the gain, the wah effect is not as dramatic, but it works for accenting solos and certain grooves well. It's the classic standard for rock solos on guitar, but with the Dunlop bass wahs... it's too subdued, IMO. Now, with Morley... it's more evident, but IMO, running a wah before distortion works best if it's an overdrive pedal you're talking about - basically, lower gain.

Fuzz => is much more dramatic. Think "Cliff Burton". :D The wah shapes the distorted signal, so the sweep is much more pronounced. It's more synth-like with funkier wahs, including the one you've got, IME.

Even on lower-gain overdrive, neither order sounds the same. You'll have to try it out!

With flanging, you'll find that it's a similar situation. IME, flanging effects tend to get "buried" if run before distortion (but it will alter your signal in a chorus-ish fashion), while they're heavily pronounced and dramatic if run after distortion.

Any combo of effects will change in sound when combined if you change the order... so experiment! Of course, when run alone, they don't change at all (with some minor exceptions tied to whether or not a buffer is involved).

8. Its a matter of opinion and what sound your after...

With the flanger, what MysticBoo said is correct. I also find though if I run Flanger before fuzz and really turn the flanger up, then that weird overtone / voice you get from a flanger makes my muff produce some really crazy harmonic sounds. It depends which of the two your after really.

As Dragonlord said, there are only a few combinations. Just see what you like. No one will arrest you for breaking effects law and having your chain the 'wrong' way round. :)

9. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    +1
    That's how I have mine setup... tuner > OD > flange > wah > comp.

10. bass -> tuner - muff - wah - flanger - amp