Orfeus Hebros short scale bass neck questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Haircutchet, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Haircutchet

Haircutchet

Dec 31, 2019
    I found this bass on ebay a while back, and ended up getting it down to about $180. It was honestly quite impulsive, but I was (and am) a sucker for this ridiculously cool paint job. My goal is to do what I can to improve its playability, and hopefully to learn a thing or two in the process. For reference, even though it was ordered sometime in early November, its being shipped quite slowly from the motherland and its expected to arrive on the Jan 18th, so I do not have the bass yet and cannot take measurements at the moment.

So, my primary concerns with repairs and set up are to do with the neck. In the photos, the third fret is missing (something I'll admit it took me a while to notice:help:) . So in all likelihood this instrument will need to be refretted, something I'd rather do than buy a new neck all together. I believe the neck length is 30" and there are 20 frets, but knowing the size of the frets would be helpful. But another concern of mine has been that, from further research, I have heard tell that many of these soviet instruments lack truss rods. uggg. So if this be the case, I'll bolt that neck clean off and start fresh.
    hebros 2.jpg hebros 3.jpg hebros.jpg
    I am very much a beginner to working on instruments, so advanced warning that I
    have a lot of rookie mistakes yet to make before I can really be sure whats up . Really I'd just like to know any information about the size of the frets, and, if there really is no truss rod, what size neck I should shop around for. I have thoroughly pursued these forums seeking an answer, but with obscure specs on obscure instruments it really can be like looking for a needle in a haystack. If you made it this far thank you for bearing with me :roflmao:

2. 54321BASSOFF

54321BASSOFF

Apr 29, 2012
    Austin
    I would have bought it on impulse also because of the paint job. Hopefully the neck is straight despite the lack of a truss rod. I would think a repair shop could replace the single fret and level all the frets if needed. Sometimes these old basses are never going to play that perfectly and you can live with a buzz here and there. If nothing else, it will be a nice wall hanging or will look nice on an album cover.

3. Haircutchet

Haircutchet

Dec 31, 2019
    Definitely agree on that last point, so worst case scenario, it will beautify my life a bit. But actually my trepidation is that it may or may not have a truss rod. So, unless you're saying it definitely does not, I think the jury is still out on that one. I'm hoping someone who has wrestled with one of these on the forums might know (it would be here here if absolutely anywhere!)

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    There seems to be a truss rod cover on the headstock. Have you removed it to see if there is a rod in there?

5. 54321BASSOFF

54321BASSOFF

Apr 29, 2012
    Austin
    Yep, no other reason for a truss rod cover...

6. Haircutchet

Haircutchet

Dec 31, 2019
    Seems right. As I warned, I have basically no instincts with these instruments, and am not so very technically minded (even when its dead obvious). But this seems right. If there isn't one, then the cold war is officially a draw.

7. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    So what ended up happening to the Orpheus bass? Did it ever arrive?

8. gbazinet

gbazinet

Aug 11, 2010
    Maine
    The OP seems to have gone MIA. I’m happy to report that I picked up one of these odd Orfeous basses off my local FB marketplace for a whopping $130. I had really low expectations based on what I’ve read here about the Soviet era instruments... but I have to admit this thing rules! Its definitely crude. But with some TLC this could be a decent gigable bass. It has a huge deep sound. And the finish! Ooh, the finish! 6E674054-BA21-4DDA-A853-8A5518156427.jpeg 06C76064-E943-400E-A30D-2812853681E6.jpeg

lifer_ and Matt Liebenau like this.
  9. lifer_

lifer_

Oct 19, 2011
    Bulgaria
    It's funny how this basses and guitars are getting some love these days :) I'm from Plovdiv (Bulgaria) the city where these were made. My first bass was violin like Orfeus. Like this one:
    25904e598291e7a6785462b368e8bd29.jpg
    Somewhere in 80's they renamed the factory to Puldin (one of the old names of Plovdiv). They produced the last basses around 1997. Fender like, PJ with active electronic. They made 200 of them. It was my second bass. Very heavy but very comfortable to play. The active electronic stopped working on the first month. I didn't bother to fix it :)
    I still own them. The violin one is disassembled but I have all the parts at different places at my home :)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021