1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Organization (in general), born with it, learn it, carrots?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by toowrongfoo, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Y'er born with it or you are doomed

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Patience and practice

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. Carrot wood fretboards play like buttah

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  1. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    I'm a terrible person when it comes to organization. I leave stuff out, nothing really has it's place, it's not really a lazy thing as much as I forget about it if it's not in front of me (like bills) but then other things are in front of me and I just ignore them.

For people that are organized, did any of you "learn" to be more organized or is it natural?

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    "Dis" is my Organization.

3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I voted (hopefully, but against all personal experience) "Patience and Practice". Supposed to be cleaning up today. Well, any minute now...

toowrongfoo likes this.
  4. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    I hate organized people..........I like chaos because I sort of know where everything is..kind of...

petrus61 and bholder like this.
  5. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Lolz, but I want to be more organized.

My vanity top, my god, it's a joke. Yet every time I clean it it's back to being wreck in an hour (doh!!!!)

6. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Banned

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    So clearly something's sayin' don't bother then...!

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I had to teach myself.

I went from one extreme to the other and then settled somewhere in the middle.

As a young adult I was truly disorganized. Then I got a job in outside sales. I hated the job and didn't stay with it long. But I'm glad I had it because it forced me to get my crap together.

Not only did I organize my stuff, but I organized my time. I went to the far extreme. I had everything put away and every minute assigned.

Then I realized one day that I had gone too far.

I settled in a bit more relaxed but vowed never to return to my disorganized self.

I highly recommend getting down with a fella by the name of Brian Tracy. His techniques are a bit extreme and dated. But you can pick and choose what you want to adopt.

Get organized to the extreme and then relax a little.

8. Chicory Blue

Chicory Blue

Oct 9, 2016
    Adderall.

--^@

Oddly and catcauphonic like this.
  9. rendevouz

rendevouz

Jan 8, 2013
    Tetris will teach you a lot about organization:thumbsup:

dreamadream99 likes this.
  10. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

Absolutely both. I think it is inherent in some folks ( I am one ) and it can be learned, if not present, or improved upon if you have it.

toowrongfoo likes this.
  11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'm with you man, my dresser tops look like the inside of my head... piled 3 layers with 3 months worth of semi useful mumbo jumbo until I'm unable to find stuff or stand looking at it any more, then I do an afternoon of finding homes for things. It doesn't take long for the first layer to develop.

12. I think everyone knows or has the capacity to learn organizational skills at a young age. But not everyone implements them.

toowrongfoo likes this.
  13. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Join the Army (or Marines...or Navy...or any similar outfit)
    They'll school you pretty quickly.

I do believe some people are just more naturally inclined to being good at it...but it can be trained to some extent...just like playing bass!

bassista6 likes this.
  14. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Who says I can play bass? :D

@armed forces: I think 53 is just a BIT PAST being able to do that.

Oddly likes this.
  15. I'm very unorganized at home, but was ultra organized at work. It wasn't anything I thought about, it just happened.

catcauphonic likes this.
  16. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I suck at it until critical mass hits. Then I have a clutter freakout, clean everything up, put everything away, and swear I'm never going to let things get that bad again. Then I go back to sucking at it.

catcauphonic likes this.
  17. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
  18. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Procrastination is best understood as an emotion-focused coping strategy.

We use task avoidance to escape the negative emotions associated with a task (e.g., frustration, boredom, stress, anxiety).

As colleagues have explained so well before, “we give in to feel good,” prioritizing the management of aversive mood states over our goal pursuit.

When we feel bad in relation to a task at hand, we’re more likely to procrastinate in an effort to feel better.

Of course, this short-term mood repair comes at a cost to our future self.

The thing is, many of us feel bad a lot of the time.

We’re more prone than others to anxiety and depression, as well as negative repetitive thoughts — in the form of worry about the future and rumination about the past. From the perspective of personality psychology, those of us who are like this are high on the trait of neuroticism.

Read more at How Negative Thoughts Relate to Procrastination

catcauphonic likes this.
  19. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Good post. I'm not as bad as to employing full time time avoidance, but it describes a few people I'm rather close to, making their lives overall unmanageable.

20. toowrongfoo

toowrongfoo

Nov 25, 2017
    Today I was more "organized" than I usually am. I like the results, but it didn't make me more productive, it made me just want to tidy-up some more.

It's like earning money in some ways, you really want to keep earning it (whether a job or selling used items) where the feeling you get is positive the more you do it.

In the end I just have to be in the mood. It's not because I dread doing it as much as I feel "well, it won't stay that way" or whatever. It occurs to me that it's also a control issue. "You" are the master, not the thing, which I feel is an illusion.

Thanks for the thoughts and some lolz so far, please don't stop!