1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

originalabsinthe.com?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by PrimusNut, Apr 20, 2010.

1. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    Hey guys. After doing a quick forum search, I see we have a few Absinthe drinkers in our midst. I am seriously considering ordering a bottle this summer and I was wondering about the reliability of this site.

Here is the bottle I was considering buying : http://www.originalabsinthe.com/absinthe-absinthe-original-bitter-spirit-p-58.html

Has anyone tried this? How is it? If it is no good what else can you reccomend in this price range?

Thanks.

2. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I had no idea that stuff was so expensive. To bad I don't drink these days I would love to try it. :cool:

3. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    absinthe is possibly the most horrible tasting thing in the world.

4. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    this stuff looks legit, at least the thujone level is high enough. but, i am under the impression that at that level, this stuff would still be illegal in the u.s.

you can buy "absinthe" here, but it is not the original stuff.

5. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I live in Canada, and the only stuff we can buy at the local liquor store is called "Absinte: Absinth Refined", and it is pretty much crap. It is advertised as "Now with Wormwood". I would never buy it.

It is legal to have the "real" stuff shipped to the US or Canada, as far as I know.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Ahhh absinthe, the Tara Labs power cable of alcoholic drinks.

7. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    there's a ton of misconceptions about absynth.

you dont trip or hallucinate on it. its still alchohol, but more giggly and "stoned" than drunk.

around here, a lot of liquor stores carry it. i think the brand i usually see is lucid, or something like that- the green bottle with cat eyes on it.

its like $60 for a bottle, and sort of worth it for the novelty, i guess. but i'd never buy a second bottle of it. the taste is..interesting, too.

8. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I have researched the Hell out of absinthe. I know about the misconceptions and the actual effects. I just want to try it because it sounds very interesting to me. The ritual with the sugar cube and the spoon, plus the "clear headed" drunk.

9. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    personally, i have found that tequila drunk is not the same as regular drunk. i am happy to find out if absinthe drunk has any unique qualities to it, if we can get a bottle.

firm believer in empirical process.

10. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    the drinking of it (sugar cube and all that) is intreguing, as well as the taste. thats why i tried it. but i wouldent describe it as being "clear headed."

anyway, i dont think the brand matters. of the people i shared that one (US legal) bottle with, three of them had tried the illigal european "good stuff," and from two differnt sources. all agreed it was the same.

so my enphasis is on not spending too much on the "good stuff." have fun, nonetheless.

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Tasted, to me, a lot like Jager... black licorice-esque.

12. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    but without the elk's blood finish?

now that stuff will make you see wodan.

13. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    It most certainly does. I love the stuff and drink it whenever it's on hand. When I guess some cash I'll probably snag a bottle of this.

Christmas eve my cousin argued with me all night that the stuff was hallucinogenic. Guess having drank that stuff for about 6 months didn't give me enough experience to say it wasn't...:rollno:

14. I don't think I could put it better

I remember a few friends and I chipping in for a bottle for a buddy on his birthday--mainly just because it had a high alcohol content...anyways nothing happened. We drank a mouthwash colored liquid that tasted like mouthwash and burnt like mouthwash. I forget what brand it was...Le Sterine or something? Li Sterine?

15. eh... you dont full on hallucinate, but you will definitely see trails on things. i just hope you enjoy the taste of mouth wash, because you will need to drink a lot of it (unless what i bought in prague wasnt at all potent). if you dont drink enough to get the extra effects, you might as well save your money and drink regular liquor instead. thats my take on it.

16. You need 4 shots before seeing weird things, and by then the alcohol is kicking in anyway. Like the guy above me said, save your money and spend it on better stuff that has more potency (i.e. some fine rum punch).

17. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    ya I had a bottle a friend brougth back from prague...

it was a little bit like jager only 10x as disgusting, and much stronger.

I would never drink it again. it was really bad. super bitter.

18. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    i've never tried the stuff in the OP but i notice the shop sells this stuff, which was the worst absinthe i have ever tasted!

if you're going to buy a bottle, SERIOUSLY don't cheap out, is my advice.

the good stuff is, shall we say, an experience, but the bad stuff is utterly foul.

19. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    Tequila makes me go on my face a lot quicker...

20. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    You know, I tried that stuff once. And that's all I remember :ninja: