1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

:OT: Micing an acoustic 6er

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by JacksonsMen, Apr 12, 2006.

1. i was wondering if you could get away (for a live show) with micing an acoustic guitar with a basic vocal mic (a sure q7 or something similar) or should we get the club to provide us with another sm57? its only for one song

2. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Id go with the extra SM57

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How do you mic acoustic guitars anyway? I tried it once with my good old six-string and all I got was some nasty feedback.
    Where should I place the mic?

4. Mic'ing an acoustic guitar with an SM57 is going not going to work the way you think it will. Acoustics generally are too quiet to be mic'd with a dynamic mic and if they are loud enough it'll sound bad. In the studio you usually record an acoustic with a condenser mic (either large or small diaphram), but that will not work live, generally speaking. Condensers will pick up LOTS of other sound from the stage so the bleed with be completely unmanageable UNLESS its an only acoustic show and there are no drums, then maybe.

That's the a reason that most poeple who play acoustic live actually play with an acoustic-electric guitar. They have built in mics | pickups | piezo pickups and often even an onboard preamp. Your best bet, if you don't already have an acoustic-electric, is to buy an inexpensive soundhole pickup for your regular acoustic. You can get them fairly inexpensive (reasonably decent ones can cost $40 - $100) and it'll work better than anything else you are looking at. Of course, the more expensive ones will sounds better but top of the line will run you up to $300!

Good luck!

5. ive used a soundhole mic before and didnt like the sound i got out of it but theres a chance i'll be picking up an acoustic/electric later today so we'll see either that or i may just have a lace pickup installed in one of my acoustics