Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Our wheel gimic. Need help!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by odie, Feb 23, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well we have been trying to get our crowds more involved and to make things more fun. Trying to get away from the rockers up on there stage thing.

So we got this idea of a wheel. We will pick people in the crowd to spin this wheel from time to time. Band will play some silly music or sampled music. The wheel will have different things on it.

Like a free shirt, free drink, make them do their best "club dance". Sing a song etc, do a drink called a BJ with the guy of our choice. That kind of thing.

Well does anyone have advice on implementing this?? Any opinions of this, will it go down well?? Any other categoried to put on the wheel??

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember seeing Elvis Costello and the Attractions and they had a big wheel at the back of the stage with the names of all their songs on - it was huge!! ;)

So - somebody would spin it and they would play the song that came up under the pointer at the top. :)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i hope you can get SKB to come out with a road case for it! :D

I think you have a great idea..

4. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    know a group who has a Stump the Band wheel - it's got stuff on it like Disco, 80s, Gospel, Punk, etc - an audience member is called up to spin the wheel and the band has to play some song in whatever style comes up. It's funny sometimes. The band has become a little bit of a joke because they've stripped most of the rockin' out and do only the stuff like this, so use it wisely =0)

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I think it's a great idea. The crowd should love it - they usually dig anything that gets them involved with the band, especially if they get free stuff.

I wouldn't suggest Sing a Song. You might get someone up there that actually thinks they can sing and they will insist on "helping" you finish your set.

This is just me but I'd suggest some categories that are a bit wilder in addition to the free stuff, so it's not all bread and roses ;) ... perhaps Kiss the Bass Player, or Dance to the Next Song on Stage.

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Smash- I hear what you are saying. But we play covers and originals and we want to make sure everyone has a good time. We play alot of stuff like RATM and Tool, and we want to make if fun when we play the songs for the "guys". We play some fun stuff like RHCP, but not all the time.

Any other ideas?

7. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    My moddo is like Smash said forget the gimmicks. If your going to play a rockin tune kick everyones butt with it. #2 get he ladies to dance at the same time still rockin. So we may come out with for instance Bomb Track by RATM, then follow it up with Talk Dirty to me by Poison so the ladies can shake those money makers. That's it really, if the music rocks so will and the crowd and they will be involved. If your just up there strumming RATM it one thing, you have to sell it! Put on a show, get all fired up and enthused. They want to be rocked so give it to em, make them believe you! :bassist: I think all the spinning and talking will make people leave. I feel how you arrange your song list has a lot to do with the mood of the crowd. Take them on an emotional rollercoster, bring em up get them all fired up, then let them down with a slower one, only to kick thier butts again with the next one. The wheel would ruin the flow if the show, we are not Elvis Costello.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I think the thing to take into consideration is what kind of band this is, and what the target demographic is. For an original band, I think it would probably be kinda lame. For a cover/party band, GREAT idea. Local radio stations have "rock nights" around here, charge $5 a head to get in to listen to a DJ, and are packed wall to wall just due to crazy games, and stuff like that. I think it could work really well, afterall, you are there to entertain.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    The title of this thread is gimmic wheel...nuff said in my opinion. But I think demographic has a lot to do woth it too, but look at Ozzy's old braindead butt, he still sells it!

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

We play covers and a few originals. The wheel is to give away tshirts cd's. But mostly it is full of crazy drinks to get people loose etc.

Also we only do it once a set. The best reaction we had was when we played SuperFreak while some one had to drink a BJ with extra whip cream. :D Then we played some more upbeat songs. RATM, Lit, Blur etc.