1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ovation Magnum II pickups with filter preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nopalfunk, Mar 9, 2016.

1. nopalfunk

nopalfunk Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Hello everybody

I have all the hardware and pickups from a Ovation Magnum II, No preamp, so this crazy idea cross my mind, install a filter preamp, since the neck pickup is multicoil (like the Wal basses) maybe a filter based preamp could work, but I don't know if it's going to be possible, I'm thinking in a ACG Preamp or a BOOGIEMAN preamp, has somebody made this before? could somebody give me some advice regarding the compatibility of the preamps with those pickups?

Thank you

magnum pickups. acg.

2. nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Anybody?

3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Filter preamps do not require multi-coil pickups. The ACG preamp will work with any passive pickup.

nopalfunk and cdef like this.
  4. Papazita

Papazita

Jun 27, 2008
    Ohio
    Do you have the entire bass, or just the pickups? Just curious.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    The original Ovation Magnum II was a passive bass. If it has a preamp, it is already modded. I don't think those are the original pickups, either.
    I used to have one. It was a great bass.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    NET
    The Magnum I was passive (with an additional stereo output jack); the Magnum II had a preamp and a 3-band graphic eq.

Sure they are - that pic is from an ad Ovation used to run.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Okay, I think maybe I was misinformed when I bought my Ovation. It was been a I. I found the owners manual online and see the II is active. Sorry, my mistake.

8. nopalfunk

Jun 7, 2010
    MX City
    Yes I have the Bass, is in bad shape but the pickups are working, I'm still considering if I must try to rescue the body or make a frankenstein

jimmyb likes this.