1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive/distortion help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by starpen, Oct 11, 2013.

1. starpen

starpen

Feb 13, 2006
    Hey guys.

I'm a 15+ years bass player but I have never really ventured into effects other that comp. and other less obvious effects.

Now I'm in need of distortion/overdrive but all of the pedals I've tried are waaaay to aggressive in their sound. First up was the T-Rex Bass Juice and I hated it - not just a little but very much. Same with the blowtorch. Tried the BOSS ODB-3 and it came a little closer but still way to "crunchy" for me.

Basicly I'm looking for a blues-rock guitar overdrive/dist. but for bass. It needs to be used for 60's and 70's rock.

The only sound I've been able to find, that mimics some of the qualities I'm after is this track but this might even be a little bit too fuzzy for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m555n9q4Vk

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    What amp/cabs are you using? Might be able to use a clean boost to "push" the amp a bit. Otherwise, you're looking for something with a blend, and hate to say it, but the TRex Bass Juice is capable of this sound, but you have to utilize the blend knob to get there.

3. Your search is over...

Fairfield Barbershop.

4. JBNeedsBeer

JBNeedsBeer Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New Brunswick, NJ
  5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I gotta say it......the T rex bass juice is capable of the sound you posted in the clip. You gotta give it a try in a "mix".

6. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    You're pretty much hearing what the Catalinbread SFT was designed to do.

7. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    I just tried an ODB-3 myself, and I'm heading to GC this afternoon to return it. It's like most of TB says: it's a distortion pedal, not an overdrive or an OD/Dist. It's impossible to get that slight-growl sound out of it. Not to mention the thing is a hiss machine.

Anyway, I'll be exchanging it for a Hardwire CM-2 they have used, unless someone buys it in the next two hours ... I've read that, compared to the ODB and Bad Monkey, it's much more capable of subtle overdrive. My guess is that you'd be able to crank it a bit more to get the sound in the Beck/Bogert/Appice track you linked.

I currently use a Joyo Vintage Overdrive, but it seems to really lose its low end in some rooms, and there's no bass boost. I still might hold on to it, though.

8. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I used the Catalinbread SFT for this until just the other day when it got bumped off the board by a Cusack Screamer Bass.

Nice demo video here: http://youtu.be/gv67iwFYKKc

9. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    +1. the SFT sounds great and is sensitive and responds to how aggressively you play: you play soft you get less overdrive and a bit of wooliness, you play harder it gives you more over drive.

the VT bass pedal from Tech21 is really sounding as well.

10. ChopperDave

ChopperDave Hai-ohhhhhhh!

Nov 14, 2012
    Boston, MA
    Okay, I checked it out, and walked out with it. I like the Classic/Modern switch, the Classic being more tube-y and the Modern being more aggressive--it can get nasty. I think you'd be able to get what you need out of this, and I got it for $50.

It's a little noisy, but not nearly as much as the ODB. Worth a try, though I'll be reserving judgement till I try it with my stuff.

11. starpen

starpen

Feb 13, 2006
    Thanks guys. It suddenly suck to live in Denmark - there are almost no market for bass effects here if it's just a little more specialized than the "normal" brands. I'll se if I can find any of the models you mentioned!

12. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    What amp are you using?

13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    In Copenhagen there's a store that seems to carry some brands: http://effektpedaler.dk/

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Instead of dumping tons of money into a boutique overdrive, which will do what you want, but so will a million other pedals, just get you a used EBS MultiDrive. It does mild overdrive very well.

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
  16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    The musiciansounddesign silverstone (www.musiciansounddesign.com )is very, very good at what you seem to be looking for.
    Light overdrive, dynamic and without loss of bottom end.

17. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    you could try a blue tube 903, and you can switch to different tubes to alter the tone

18. hey,
    stay away from OD pedals !
    what you need is a good tube head and a booster pedal ! i've just tried the EP BOOSTER by Xotic and it work marvelously : no low loss, true bypass, ad some "fulness" and slight compression to your sound, and make your tube chanel growl when you reach the 20db full gain. This pedal was originaly designed for guitar but kicks ass on bass !!!
    hope it helps

19. jdb72

jdb72 Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2010
  20. starpen

starpen

Feb 13, 2006
    Okay, so I've been checking up on a load of the effects you guys recommended and a couple of others. I definitely like the Multidrive but I'm also liking the sound of the Mad Professor Blueberry. I'll try to talk to the guy that has the Multidrive for sale here.