1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Overdrive pedal ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ruski, Jul 21, 2012.

1. ruski

ruski

Mar 30, 2012
    Melbourne
    I'm running a gk 1001rb II through an ampeg 410hlf with an MM sterling HH. It's a great rig, I like it a lot but my tone is incredibly punchy, clean and articulate. Looking to add a little grit to my tone... Sorta like Justin chancellor from tool has a bit of grit in his tone. But he uses a pro co rat and an eq pedal. Is there any overdrives I could look at that'd do this without having an eq pedal too. Definitely don't want to lose any bottom end. Are there any with a blend control? Cheers

2. ysand

ysand

Mar 26, 2005
    Athens/Greece
    Sorry for sounding rude, but there is a search button what you're asking has probably been asked at least a million times before.
    You can find similar threads even in the first page.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Aguilar Agro. I normally have 5 dirt pedals on my board, and I recently tried an Agro to see if I wanted to add it or have it replace something. The first thing that came to mind when I fired it up was that it made me sound exactly like Tool :)

4. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Maybe the new ''Basstortion'' from Z. Vex is something for you :)

5. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    ProTone Buzzard Overdrive. Has a 2-band eq in it to let you dial in some more low end.

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Proco rat is one of my two fave seperate pedals for overdrive. The other being the Marshall Govner overdrive. Yes a bass eq after overdrive is allways a good idea. Settling for only overdrive pedals that retain lower bass generally means not getting as good a overdrive pedal in my experience. They often lack the fundamental OD char I'm after and their bass content is often boosted in an area Id would not.

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    what setting do you use mind to share?? I try it with heavy saturation setting and it just kinda get lost in the mix( maybe that's because I am playing with 2 drummer. Yah 2 not drummer and percussionist) . I found it to work better in low gain setting.

To op darkglass b3k might be what you want. I myself currently using b3k, pork loin and agro

8. I think the B3K is much more present than the Agro, although the Agro is a great sounding overdrive as well. Listen to Dub Trio's last album to hear the Agro in action.

The B3K has so much attack if you want it to, though. And Justin's latest from Tool has more than a "little grit" - it's more similar to Paul's old Tool tone.

9. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    I recently picked up a Joyo Ultimate Drive (Fulltone OCD clone). I like the way it sounds with my 1001RBII rig. It can go from slightly gritty to full on dirty OD. Best thing is it was only $35!

10. Fuzzrocious Dark Driving. Not what he uses but I've found that using my Musicman (which btw is ridiculously bright, so I put some half rounds on, but that is another story) with the Dark Driving satisfies my ears for a Tool tone. Since it responds to playing dynamics, playing a little lighter retains that clarity and punch, while still being gritty and fat. It sounds good when i'm playing some pic stuff (like the cool flanging part in Jambi or even the softer sound of Disposition) and with my fingers, like in 10000 days. I don't have a line selector or any sort of blend to achieve the Tool sound, nor do I use 2 channels.

11. I've always been curious about stacking my B3K into either an OCD or a Blueberry overdrive - basically a darker OD, just to see the colors I get.

I kind of already do it with my Oxford(and it sounds good), but I'm curious how one of these two stack up(OCD or Mad Professor Blueberry) because they're just a dedicated overdrive. Anybody done it with their B3K?