1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Overdrive Quest

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Apr 17, 2011.

1. I'm on the quest for the perfect overdrive (for me). Right now I have a ProCo Vintage Rat Reissue (w/ Ruetz mod). Since it has the Ruetz mod, it's more of an OD than a distortion. I don't really like the way it breaks up. I'm looking for something that breaks up a large range of frequencies as opposed to the Rat which (to my ears) only breaks up the high end. It's really brittle sounding IMOH.

Additionally, the Rat is way too intense sounding for the type of music I am playing.

If someone could point me in the direction of an OD pedal that will satisfy my needs, it would be greatly appreciated.

Things I am currently considering (updated):
    *Way Huge Pork Loin
    *Xotic Bass BB Preamp
    *Digitech Badder Monkey
    *Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive

Bottom line: I want something that's natural sounding, that covers a wide frequency range, that isn't dark sounding (like Dark Driving, BJFE Blue Berry, Honeycomb), and that isn't too fuzzy or gnarly.

I understand this has been done over and over. I just can't decide :crying:

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Have you heard the EBS Multidrive in the full range breakup mode? Sounds awful breaking up all frequencies.

I also think it's a tall order trying to find a "perfect" overdrive with your rig. In my opinion, you really ought to think about a head you can overdrive, and pair it with an appropriate cab. I love the EHX English Muff'n, but it sounds like rubbish without an all tube/hornless/vintage styled rig.

3. what full range breakup mode do you speak of?

Also, point noted on the Muff'n

Now that I think about it, all of the people I have seen/heard that use the Muff'n have an all tube head

4. tony levin uses the Acoustic Imagineering Quantum Drive.

Acoustic Imaginearing

its one of these expensive boutique pedals but it sounds pretty cool i think.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Not just because I own it and stand by it, but I suggest considering the Way Huge Pork Loin. It can go from light thump to full-on ballsy overdrive. It has a lot of control and sounds like a natural overdrive to my ears.

And you can get it used for cheap.

6. I have a DOD250 reissue with a modified input capacitor to give it better bass response and I love it for a mild and even sounding overdrive.

7. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you want an overdrive pedal that has a tube screamer like sound added with a clean mix, the voodoo lab sparkle drive would be choice.

8. I have come to realize that most of the OD pedals I like are various renditions of the tube screamer. I will check into the sparkle drive! this is the second time it has come up

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'd say Pork Loin or Sparkle Drive. Pork Loin can sound like the SParkle Drive, but the Loin has so many option via internal dip switches that it's got a lot more versatility than the sparkle Drive. IMHO.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I have the (Digitech) Badder Bass Monkey as modified by Scott Humphreys. I tried 4-5 different pedals and settled on it. If you push the settings, it will edge into distortion, but it's a very nice pedal that preserves the bass sound and the initial note attack - which many overdrives do not.

Humphreys gets my sincere vote of confidence! Humphrey Audio Mods Worldwide

11. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The "Flat" setting on the EBS Multidrive distorts all frequencies. It also sounds awful with a tube or SS amp. And to my ears, my comments on the Muff'n aren't exclusive to only it. I don't like the sound of dirt pedals with active basses, solid state heads, and especially horned cabinets.

12. ...

in other words, treble :p

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Inactive

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The active basses, effects can't gnarl up their sound as well as a passive. Often times you'll get some really crummy sounding artifacts of the active bass cutting through. Solid state heads sometimes make everything farty/fizzy, which is absolutely unacceptable for me. And horns, maybe not at first but if you run distortion with them over a long period of time, without fail in my experience they end up giving a really fizzy in a bad way tone, very unpleasant and non musical.

14. The more I research (and I have been literally ALL DAY), the more appealing the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive seems.

If only it weren't so damn ugly....

15. If you're looking for low gain, add the Barber LTD SR to your list. After trying a bunch, I've settled on it for now. I don't seem to like overdriven signals mixed with clean on bass. I don't mind so much on guitar, but with bass it seems like I can more easily pick out both signals and it kind of ruins the illusion for me.

16. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    You and me both.

So far my best luck has been the Fulltone Bass Drive. The Sparkle Drive was nice but when I wanted just a little more gain, I couldn't get it right.

17. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I vote for the Pork Loin too. I haven't demo'd/owned/listened to anything that retains as much natural character of your bass as the Pork Loin. It's title as Soft Clip Injection is very fitting because it can give just a slight amount of breakup and harmonics over your bass's natural tone.

Try it! You'll like it!

18. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    What Robertron said.

I have the SparkleDrive and the PorkLoin, for me the PorkLoin is on my bass board and the SparkleDrive is on my guitar board.
    Both killer OD's though.

19. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Catalinbread SFT is worth a look, it's top of the pile for me. It is slightly dark, but so is the Pork Loin, although with the SFT you can always boost the treble eq on the pedal!

20. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Homebrew Electronics Hematoma or Pork Loin.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021